Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Dreamstation dial not working
Dreamstation dial not working
Hi all, 

I recently went to check the last night's AHI on my Dreamstation BiPAP AVAPS and realized the dial/knob no longer functions. Neither the clicking, nor the turning results in anything. So, I can't access any screen beyond the therapy hours screen.

Is this a dirty/sticky issue? It doesn't feel stuck, or any different than it used to. Any suggestions much appreciated.

I own machine. Pretty sure eligible for a new one in 5 years (it's only been 15 months) and there's some kind of warranty, but really hoping to troubleshoot this myself and not leave the compound during this pandemic.

Stay safe and thanks for reading,
KA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dreamstation dial not working
I'm a bit out of touch on the mechanical aspects, but going by your description, it could be the switch behind the knob has given up, or it could be wiring has come loose. Both are just guesses. I can't recall any big outstanding known trouble spots related to your uncooperative dial.

Standby, others will be along. There could be an answer any time. Best to ya on this and getting through the virus situation safe.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much for your kindness, Dave. Luckily, I don't currently need to change settings, but would certainly like to have a fully operational machine for when I do.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome. At least the power switch didn't give out.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have a respironics machine, but from what I have read, it has a D shape shaft for the knob. I doubt that the knob is stripped. My only thought is that if the push function works and the turning does not, the switch may not be fully returning to allow the scrolling to work. You don't want to break anything, but maybe pulling up on the knob a bit might engage the scrolling. Obviously the switch could be bad, but something might be preventing it from fully returning.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again, and hope you stay safe. I checked in with my DME coordinator and he said this problem has happened with other patients. Luckily, he can dial in remotely and make changes as needed. Their office is closed to patients right now but once it reopens I can bring it in for them to check out. My average AHI is 4.1 he says. Going to see what I can in OSCAR myself, but much relieved.

Thanks, John. Neither push nor turning functions result in anything, but both move freely/normally. I'll rely on my DME to remotely make changes, and take it in for them to look at before my warranty would be up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, that seems slimy. (But I tend toward suspect.) I'd definitely insist they fix it, rather than relying on my willingness (and their willingness) to remote-access my machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Hydrangea, I'm with you. Postponing taking the machine anywhere to get checked since I don't want to leave my house and risk infection, not to mention most places are closed right now. I may call Philips if they have anyone working currently in customer service, and enquire about the steps for repair/replacement under warranty. I have about 9 months left under warranty. It's hard to see the SARS-CoV-2 threat abating by then, though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 255 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  nore cpap is working, again ? Jst617 5 185 03-31-2024, 07:10 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 148 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 182 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 471 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 225 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 223 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.