Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Help Picking First Machine
Help Picking First Machine
Hello!

I have an appointment Monday afternnon to get set up with my first machine since being diagnosed. Thanks to all the info here I feel like I am going into this pretty informed. Definitely know a lot more than I did a few weeks ago. I think I have my choices narrowed down to 2 machines but I am hoping to get a little additional input and reassurance.

First, some pertinent details about me from my sleep study and how this came about. I am a linehaul driver for a large LTL carrier. I don't live the stereotypical truck driver life as I go for a 8 or so hour trip, get put up in a motel, then make the return trip home the next day after the required DOT rest. Nevertheless, I got forced into having a sleep study as part of a routine physical. Turns out in my case they were right I guess because I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea as a result of that study. My AHI came back at 76.5, so I guess I was quite the over-achiever even. 

The more detailed results of my study were as follow: I spent 388 minutes in bed and splept 256 of those minutes with the lowest sleep efficiency being 66%. My sleep latency was 14.9 minutes with a REM latency of 294 minutes. My overall sleep showed increased stage I and II sleep, absent of slow wave and reduced REM sleep. I had a split night study and during the diagnostic portion I spent 204 minutes in bed and slept for 120 minutes with a sleep efficiency of 59%. During that portion I had one central and no mixed apneas, 41 obstructive apneas and 111 hypopneas. REM sleep was not seen during the diagnostic portionand my supine AHI was 62. My avg. oxygen saturation was 92% with a low of 82% and 20 minutes spent below 90%.

During the treatment part of the study, unfortunately, they did not achieve my optimum CPAP pressure. They initiated treatment at 5 cm water and had worked up to 13 cm water before we ran out of time. Despite this, I did show significant improvement during the treatment portion with the AHI dropping to 8 per hour. 

This all culminated to a RX for an E0601 APAP set at low 12cm H2O to high 18cm H2O with a E0562 heated PAP device humidifier. 

I believe after discussing machines, options, and insurance coverage over the phone with the DME that I am going to be able to choose between the ResMed AirSense 10 or a ResMed AirCurve VAuto. I have had in my mind the last couple of days that the Air Curve would be the way to go. My reasoning is that it will do anything the Air Sense 10 will but will go to a higher pressure if necessary and that the high/low pressures can be set further apart. I am pretty certain there is going to be some diagnostic work left even after getting my APAP given the fact they admittedly don't even really know what my pressure should be set at. Also, I intend to buy the machine vs. renting so the one that can grow and adapt with me the most over the next few years is part of my consideration.

Anyway, it was past time I should say hello and thank you for all the info and knowledge I've taken advantage of already. It also seemed like a good idea to get a little extra input form those who've walked this path before me. Thanks in advance for any input you may have. If I didn't include any needed info please let me know.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Picking First Machine
Just my two cents. I'd go with the VAUTO if your going to buy. That ensures that you do have enough pressure if needed. Now if you were renting I'd say go with the AirSense knowing you could exchange it down the road if needed.

By the way Welcome.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ultramag,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The AirCurve 10 VAudo is a good machine if you can manage to get it.
Hang in there for more ideas, as two or more heads are better than one..
Good luck as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum! I did want to mention that an RX for a E0601 is for an APAP, not a Bi-level machine. You would need a code for E0471 for the Bi-level machine. Most insurance companies will insist that you first "fail" the apap before paying for a bi-level machine because there is a significant price difference. So, yes, if you want a bi-level machine, you need to get that script updated!
Post Reply Post Reply
You stated ResMed Airsense 10.  That is an incomplete model description.  There is an AirStart 10 series which you do NOT want.

The Autosense you want is one of these 2 models

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)
The for her has 1 additional auto algorithm, both are very good.

Nothing wrong with the VAuto!!!

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2017, 10:26 PM)UMosquitobait Wrote: Welcome to the forum!  I did want to mention that an RX for a E0601 is for an APAP, not a Bi-level machine.  You would need a code for E0471 for the Bi-level machine.   Most insurance companies will insist that you first "fail" the apap before paying for a bi-level machine because there is a significant price difference.  So, yes, if you want a bi-level machine, you need to get that script updated!

Yes, I forgot to mention in the original post that I thought this was the case. This being said, the DME has all but given me the Air Curve VAuto already. All discussions indicate it's just going to be my choice at tomorrow's set-up appointment. I do have very good insurance compared to most any plans, however I have to wonder if the info I've received so far is how this will really go down. If it is, I'm not sure I'm the most qualified to pick between the two models.
Post Reply Post Reply
You seem to have a higher pressure requirement, therefore go with the VAuto as this may give you a higher comfort level.

You really need to touch base with your doctor and be sure the prescription states Bi-level and the correct code is listed for that machine. The DME will not be able to dispense the BiLevel without the doctors script stating that with the correct code to submit to insurance.

Good Luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are buying one make sure to check the total use hours on the machine before you take it. Some DME's have been known to try and sell used machines as new.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2017, 12:18 AM)bonjour Wrote: You stated ResMed Airsense 10.  That is an incomplete model description.  There is an AirStart 10 series which you do NOT want.

The Autosense you want is one of these 2 models
  • ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)

• ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)
The for her has 1 additional auto algorithm, both are very good.

Nothing wrong with the VAuto!!!

Fred
How many user adjustable parameters doe the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (E0601) have?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,143 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Help picking a new CPAP machine. edyurgal 19 1,915 09-15-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: edyurgal
  Picking up where I left off - My CPAP Therapy Thread SwirlySauce 38 2,774 04-10-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: SwirlySauce
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,790 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Need advise and help picking correct CPAP leanintoit 7 899 02-16-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: leanintoit
  Picking a CPAP Tinman53 9 1,601 07-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.