Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Help choosing a FFM?
Help choosing a FFM?
Since I started CPAP 20 months ago, I've been using nasal pillow masks, mainly the ResMed P10 and now the Aloha.  But I depend on tape to control mouth leaks, and suddenly two weeks ago, I began to experience saliva escaping my mouth and creating a sludge with the Somnifix adhesive.  I can buttress the strip to keep leaks down, but the sludge is causing painful irritation to the margins and corners of my lips.  So I figure it's time I tried the FFM route.

Any advice about where to start?  I like the quiet diffusion of the P10 vent and the flexibility of the short hose, so I'm inclined to start with ResMed products.  Mirage?  F30?  F20, Air Touch or Airfit?  (I don't like the masks that route the air through the headgear; too noisy.)

I know that in the end it's going to be a pretty individual choice, but here are a couple of variables that would matter to me:

*  my ability to continue using my Hose Buddy hose lift,

*  the mask's ability to fit over/in the increasingly deep creases and folds next to my mouth,

*  the mask's ability to accommodate side-sleeping and frequent turning over.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help choosing a FFM?
I go back & forth between the AirFit F20 and F30. I use the F30 more frequently and I like it. I'm a side sleeper and turn over quite often during the night. 

I do find it necessary to readjust it at times. Usually just tugging a little at the portion under my lower lip. I've been using the same F30 now since March 4. It's holding up well. And, I'm getting used to securing the cushion to the mask. Initially, it was a PITA. But, it just took some getting used to I guess. 

I use a hose hanger as well, and the F30 accommodates it.

Anyways, as far as a FFM goes, I'm happy with either one, the AirFit F20 or the F30.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
In my opinion the F30 is a nasal pillow with a mouth cover.  Now that I have said that, I'm sure there will be a recommendation for every different mask on the market.  Why else would they be made?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-22-2020, 01:39 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: In my opinion the F30 is a nasal pillow with a mouth cover.  Now that I have said that, I'm sure there will be recommendation for every different mask on the market.  Why else would they be made?

I never really thought of it as that, but I do think that you have a valid point. I'm a mouth-breather, but I have found that I can breathe thru my nose with that particular mask if I want.

I don't do it for long periods of time, but I can do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
When my wife has mouth leaks at night I just dream I’m married to a Gulfstream jet. Smile
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both types of cushion for the F20, AirFit silicone and AirTouch memory foam. Since you don't like the up top connection with side hoses, you can get the F20 FFM and F30 in what I'll call a hybrid. There is a Fisher & Paykel that I consider similar called Vitera. It does add a support forehead bar that adds tension to the top triangle cushion area without touching you. At least that was my sleep study experience while using it. I think there's another FFM, a F&P Simplus. F&P touts RollFit on both as a mask seal method that allows the seal to roll along the nasal bridge without breaking seal and not adding discomfort. I've added F&P to my wish list of new masks, likely the Vitera FWIW.

Except the F30 and Simplus, I have used these at least one night. AirFit F20 is still the go-to for now. Memory foam I struck out on as I couldn't keep a seal consistently. I thought the F&P has the potential to be more comfortable than the F20 if it were the right sized cushion.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I originally moved from a Resmed Mirage Quattro to a F&P Simplus, about 6 1/2 years ago.  I have been happy with the Simplus ever since.  One thing I like about the Simplus, is that the vent holes are part of the cushion, and thus are replaced with it, and are washed out whenever the cushion is washed.  The Quattro had the venting as part of the frame, so is replaced much less frequently..  Along with my machine replacement about 2 months ago, I requested a F&P Vitera to try, but haven't tried it yet.  It is said to be the replacement for the Simplus mask, and is similar enough that the sizing for the Simplus and Vitera is the same.  It will be interesting to see what changes or  improvements have been made.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with calling the F30 a nasal pillow with a mouth cover. That is exactly how I use it and the F30i. I find it easier to breathe through my nose with either of them compared to the F20 or Vitera.

That said, the Vitera works well. It’s comfortable and seals well - maybe a bit better than the F20 for me.

However, the large-but-narrow passages in my Roman/English nose expand a little using a pillow or nasal pillow mask such as the F30, F30i, P30i, or N30i. They work like a Breathe-Rite strip but better.

The Airtouch version of the F20 was useless for me. The foam rolled under pretty bad, so it leaked, squeezed my nostrils, and pressed on one eye a bit. I tried both medium and large. Some people like it, but personally I think the Airfit with a liner is a better solution if the bare silicone is a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Speaking of liners, the blue RespLabs liner works well with the F20. It doesn’t quite fit the Vitera right though, at least not the Large cushion. Snugz leaked pretty bad on the F20 - the cloth knit is just too open.

Padacheek makes liners for the Vitera, F20, and F30 (but not the F30i). I haven’t tried them, but they seem to be highly regarded.
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually find the F30i to be pretty quiet, but it helps to use the smallest frame that fits you. That keeps the tubes a bit farther from your ears. It certainly has an advantage for frequent turning. Ymmv, of course.

FWIW, the Resmed top-tube frames are significantly less restrictive than the Dreamwear versions (per their published flow data). That reduces the air velocity and turbulence in the tubes, especially when sleeping on your side, which probably reduces the noise. It’s been awhile since I tried the Dreamwear masks though, and noise was not my focus at the time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 800 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Apnea Test Results and Choosing the Right CPAP? dank44 0 417 07-03-2023, 09:10 PM
Last Post: dank44
  Help Choosing the Right Machine janelleb1985 4 579 06-07-2023, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Ed in SoDak
  Need advice on choosing a new machine Quackdoctor 6 757 03-21-2023, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,625 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  choosing a mask vivian 3 738 09-29-2021, 08:37 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] I want to buy a BIPAP machine and i need some help choosing one SleepingForest 20 2,165 06-17-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.