Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Help with AirSense 10 Motor Vibration
Help with AirSense 10 Motor Vibration
Hi everyone,

To give some backstory here I was lent an AirSense 10 Autoset from the DME when I was first diagnosed for 3 weeks. They wanted an exorbitant amount to buy another one off of them but I figured I could just buy one online, save money, and ditch them altogether. Which is what I did.

The AutoSet that the DME lent me was a loaner unit, so I assume it had lots of hours. It was very quiet just as I expected from reading reviews on the AirSense 10. Now, when I purchased my own and brought it home I left it in the box for a while and kept using the DME's just to see out the 3 week trial. When I returned it to the DME and replaced it with the one I bought the first night I noticed there was a kind of motor whirring sound that wasn't present in the DME's machine. I ignored it and figured maybe I was being paranoid because it was very very slight, and I rationalized maybe the new machine's motor just needs to go around a few times and quiet down, kind of break in first. After another night of that I just placed the machine on a towel and it solved my problem. So I think what I'm hearing is vibration from the machine.

A few weeks later and last night I took it off the towel and placed it back on the nightstand. The whirring vibrating noise came back immediately. It gets slightly louder when I breathe in. So I put it back on the towel again and it was great. Beyond that noise the machine works perfect, so I'm wondering if anybody has experienced discrepancies in noise between two different machines of the same model. I'm not concerned that the machine is going to break down or anything like that, it really isn't an unhealthy noise, just very slight vibration. Anybody experienced something similar? Were you able to fix it with anything more permanent than a towel, say larger rubber feet or something?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help with AirSense 10 Motor Vibration
I"ve had the same machine for a little over two years. It's on a hard surface that would probably amplify any vibration but it's so quite I can't hear it running.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Mine is over four years old and has 12000+ hours. No noise or vibration. It has always been on a hard side near my sleeping position.

How many hours does your new machine have?

v/r
Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2019, 02:05 PM)foss Wrote: Mine is over four years old and has 12000+ hours. No noise or vibration. It has always been on a hard side near my sleeping position.

How many hours does your new machine have?

v/r
Jeff

I made sure to check when I received it and it was at 0 hours. A few weeks later I don't know what it'd be, maybe 120 or so. But the point is it was new when I got it, hence my thought maybe it just needs some time to break in?

I'm having trouble describing the noise because it's not a rattling vibration like it's bouncing off the hard surface. But when I put a towel under it it stops, so that's all I can think it must be. It sounds more like whirring, and I can hear it speed up and slow down as I breathe. I'm thinking I must be hearing the fan through the side table? Anyway, I have some rubber 3M replacement laptop feet, I'll try those tonight as they are considerably larger than the rubber feet on the bottom of the unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
At dollar stores you can buy rolls of drawer liner made of rubbery mesh-like stuff.  I think it might be about $4 per roll, but I forget, maybe half that.  You cut out a pad of it to suit as the platform you need and leave it under your device.  Should work.
Post Reply Post Reply
just be aware some of the mesh things leave waffle marks on some finishes. we wrecked a new clear finish over parquet flooring by using similar stuff for one of it's advertised uses to keep the carpet runner (throw rug) in a hallway from slipping and sliding.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the Airsense 10 Auto for the past three years. It has been extremely quiet up until this week. Five days ago it started making a whining noise that is louder during expiration. If I hold my breath the sound almost goes away. The noise is loud enough to be bothersome, particularly since it varies with respiration. The noise is definitely coming from the unit, not the hose or mask. I have been putting a pillow over the unit and getting to sleep. Of interest, when I wake up to go to the bathroom, it is quiet, but as soon as I start it up again, the whining noise begins again. I think my problem is internal with the blower. I am out of warranty, so I am going to order a new unit. Your problem sounds more like vibration. I have never had any problem with my Airsense 10 making noise on a solid surface.
Post Reply Post Reply
one possible cause of whining is the humidifier. every time I refill he chamber I have to jostle and adjust it, repeatedly pulling it out and reinserting it until the loud whine stops. so far successful but there's probably a limit to the number of times one can get away with this before doing what I should do and replace the chamber. sometimes wetting the receiving ports in the machine helps too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2019, 03:54 PM)mesenteria Wrote: At dollar stores you can buy rolls of drawer liner made of rubbery mesh-like stuff.  I think it might be about $4 per roll, but I forget, maybe half that.  You cut out a pad of it to suit as the platform you need and leave it under your device.  Should work.

I use some of that stuff under my CPAP machine. It not only reduces vibration, it makes it a lot harder for the machine to slide around........as in not falling off my bedside cabinet.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2019, 05:37 PM)pabmd Wrote: I have used the Airsense 10 Auto for the past three years. It has been extremely quiet up until this week. Five days ago it started making a whining noise that is louder during expiration. If I hold my breath the sound almost goes away. The noise is loud enough to be bothersome, particularly since it varies with respiration. The noise is definitely coming from the unit, not the hose or mask. I have been putting a pillow over the unit and getting to sleep. Of interest, when I wake up to go to the bathroom, it is quiet, but as soon as I start it up again, the whining noise begins again. I think my problem is internal with the blower. I am out of warranty, so I am going to order a new unit. Your problem sounds more like vibration. I have never had any problem with my Airsense 10 making noise on a solid surface.

That's interesting, because I had a similar experience with the Devilbiss Sleepcube. Out of the box it was noisy and your description of volume changes after a break was part of my problem, too.

It made me wonder how the pressure is regulated. I used to believe the fan speed changed, but after this recent experience I started to wonder if the fan speed in cosntant but pressure is bled off somewhere when operating a lower pressure. This could explain why my machine got quieter as the pressure rose.

Or maybe its just an acoustic effect, where the velocity of the air passing through the machine's internals, counter-intuitively, means that low velocity = loud, high velocity = quiet.

Anybody know how these machines vary the pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,901 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  S9 Blower Motor vk3hjq 105 16,357 01-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: Julio Bigtime
  Changing Motor on AirCurve10 ASV Stockton2Malone2 1 275 01-22-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Life of motor exceeded, Resmed S9 Reptile 13 12,262 01-21-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: dwd1249
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,184 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
Question [CPAP] Reset motor run hours after new motor djforrestidaho 9 811 12-06-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.