Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Leaky masks
Leaky masks
I would be grateful for help interpreting the OSCAR charts.  Do I have a "leak" problem?  I got a new mask - Respironics Dreamwear Under Nose Nasal Mask.  The leak results look similar to previous masks. 

Technology is a struggle.  I hope I got this right.

Thank you in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaky masks
You don't have a leak problem. Your machine reports two leaks: the total leakage including the intended leak (upper green line) and mask leaks (lower line). And that second line looks marvellous. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
All masks have leaks. They must get rid of C02 and are designed to do that and it showed as a leak 

You need to enter the type of mask you are using on your Cpap so the machine can determine if the leak is a large leak and needs to be controlled by adjustments or in getting a different mask. 

Once you have set the type you can add a leak line on your leak cart to help you determine if your leak is to large. To do that move your mouse to the left side if the leak chart (near the title in the left side) right click and choose “dotted line” and choose max leak? I’m not near my computer to see the exact wording. 

The line now in the chart is the largest amount of leak that your Cpap can handle.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
As multicast states, you don't have a leak problem.

Your Respironics machine reports Total Leaks, which include both the intentional leak rate for your mask at your pressure AND the excess leaks.

In other words: Total Leak = Intentional Leak + Excess Leak
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.  That is helpful. I will check it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tips.  I entered the mask type.  I have not been able to get the "line."  My AHI number fell after adding the mask info.  I do not know if that is related or coincidence.

Thank you for explaining.  I could not figure out why there were two lines some of the time.  There is so much to reading these charts.  Helpful but confusing at first.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your help.  I did not understand about "intentional" leaks.  Now I understand why there are exhaust holes in the masks.  Most of those annoy me because the air shoots back into my eyes. I use an eye mask now and then.

Thank you.  I'm learning from people's responses.  I'm also reading the WiKi and Guide.  So much to read and learn.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 344 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Switched masks and adjustment period sleepingbetterinFl 1 219 01-21-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 4 408 01-20-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Other masks to try? acordeon 5 495 01-01-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Why different pressures with different masks Dawei 6 423 12-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed masks with magnets and coronary stents stillaliveca 0 454 12-19-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: stillaliveca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.