Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Machine Internal Disinfecting and Maintanance
RE: Machine Internal Disinfecting and Maintanance
I keep a light cloth over my machine, This helps keep dust from settling on the top of the machine. My mom doesn't do this and her machine looks dusty on the topside of the machine. This may or may not reduce the dust the machine pulls in, but at least it looks clean on the outside:grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
I only got so far with taking the machine apart. My computer tool kit has the right tools but they aren't long enough. I have torx (T10, by the way) the right length somewhere, gawd only knows where. It may have to wait until this weekend for me to get the right ones. I need them anyway for something else. And I hate the screwdriver for the computer kit. It doesn't hold the blanketyblank bits. Drives me nuts.

But I did take pics as I went! If nothing else, to remind me how to put it all back together. And I created a brand spankin' new Photo Bucket user just for this.

http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/PaulaO...t=6&page=1
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Tobacco crud does build up in the machine. It's nearly impossible to remove other than letting the machine air out and removing some of the smell. Some people find the smell eventually goes away. Disgusting as it is, the tobacco smell is probably not harmful.

Disasembly and cleaning is rather difficult in many machines, but is possible, especially if the alternative is throwing it away.

Dust also builds up over time. It can eventually build up enough to affect operation, but it's probably not a big risk to the patient other than when it affects the operation of the machine.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2014, 05:32 AM)DocWils Wrote: We DO have disinfection machines for the inner workings of every type of machine that passes air through it - large industrial types of things, mostly for surgical units and for units that have been in infected areas or need higher sterile requirements, but he sleep lab informs me that they clean and disinfect the hoses, masks and outlet of the CPAP boxes they have, and the exterior of the boxes and swap out the filters between patients, but any cleaning of the inner assembly is done by Philips themselves on a yearly basis, given the heavy use the machines get. They inform me that the machines really don't need to be cleaned all that often inside the blower assembly and the fans don't pick up that much dust thanks to the filters.

Are you talking ethelyne oxide machines? That's about the only thing I can think of that a CPAP machine might survive. I guess a real "industrial" medical ozone unit might work if you were really careful about it, but ozone might eat the plastic or corrode the metal if you had it concentrated enough to reliably sterilize. Gamma or x-ray would probably fry the memory in the computer.

I wonder if Philips actually does any "sterilization" of the machines or just "inspect, clean, and refurbish." Some of the high dollar ventilator machines have replaceable "airflow path" modules.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Paula.

I will definitely stay tuned to this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,164 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,582 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  Internal Power Connector AirSense 10 terrycts 15 2,779 10-19-2022, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Moseby
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,792 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Control III cleaning vs disinfecting Roger Roger 2 683 12-28-2021, 12:13 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Best wipes for cleaning and disinfecting 1kworthy 15 2,147 12-19-2021, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.