Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Mask Leak
Mask Leak
Hello:

I am new to CPAP and Sleep Apnea boards, but would like some help. On December 14, 2018 I received my AirCurve 10 ASV Device # 575 from the American Lake VA, Located outside of Tacoma Washington. I received 2 different styles of mask one was the Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask and the other I can not remember, but was unable to use either of them.

Since then I have tried many different types and styles of mask, all the way from what I call a snorkel to the one I am using now the Medium Simplus Full Face Mask. I have also tried the Amara View Minimal Contact Full Face Mask from Philips Respironics. My problem is every mask I have tried to use has defaulted to Mask Leak.

Mask leak is my sworn enemy. I have tried every size of mask out their to no avail. I am a side sleeper, and within about 15 minutes of laying down, my machine starts acting up and when I look it tells me I have a mask leak. This has been going on for about 5 months. My sleeping time can be anywhere from 10 minutes a night to 2 hours, never any longer and most night much shorter than 2 hours. Every mask that I have tried makes me feel as if I am drowning, and not able to breath. I believe it has to do with each mask being placed over my mouth and nose, which I just can not stand.

Does any one know of a mask that just fits over a persons mouth, and does not have any air vent to the nose like the Amara View does. I need a mask that fits only over the mouth, since I am a mouth Breather and unable to breath through my nose.

If any one can tell me of a company that sells a mask like that I would appreciate knowing about it. I have been to the VA many many time, and have taken my machine up to them and they tell me its the way I put the mask on, and that the machine is working the way it is supposed to.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Leak
Possibly the Fisher&Paykel Oracle oral-only mask?

https://www.fphcare.com/us/homecare/slee...ks/oracle/
meow, I'm a bobcat.

@home: DS1 Auto, F&P HC150, Dreamwear FullFace
@travel: Transcend Micro, USB-C PD cable, Anker GaNPrime 65W brick, Sleepweaver Anew -- all in a dopp bag
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2019, 08:48 PM)Oceanview Wrote: Hello:

I am new to CPAP and Sleep Apnea boards, but would like some help. On December 14, 2018 I received my AirCurve 10 ASV Device # 575 from the American Lake VA, Located outside of Tacoma Washington. I received 2 different styles of mask one was the Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask and the other I can not remember, but was unable to use either of them.

Since then I have tried many different types and styles of mask, all the way from what I call a snorkel to the one I am using now the Medium Simplus Full Face Mask. I have also tried the Amara View Minimal Contact Full Face Mask from Philips Respironics. My problem is every mask I have tried to use has defaulted to Mask Leak.

Mask leak is my sworn enemy. I have tried every size of mask out their to no avail. I am a side sleeper, and within about 15 minutes of laying down, my machine starts acting up and when I look it tells me I have a mask leak. This has been going on for about 5 months. My sleeping time can be anywhere from 10 minutes a night to 2 hours, never any longer and most night much shorter than 2 hours. Every mask that I have tried makes me feel as if I am drowning, and not able to breath. I believe it has to do with each mask being placed over my mouth and nose, which I just can not stand.

Does any one know of a mask that just fits over a persons mouth, and does not have any air vent to the nose like the Amara View does. I need a mask that fits only over the mouth, since I am a mouth Breather and unable to breath through my nose.

If any one can tell me of a company that sells a mask like that I would appreciate knowing about it. I have been to the VA many many time, and have taken my machine up to them and they tell me its the way I put the mask on, and that the machine is working the way it is supposed to.

Thanks.

I too, am a mouth breather. No way can I breathe via my nose for very long. 

I'm currently using a ResMed AirFit F30. Although it does have holes in it for the nose, they don't bother me at all. I was using a ResMed AirFit F20. It was okay and got the job done. But, it rode high on my nose and ended up just below my eyes. 

I plan on rotating between the two every now and then. I find the F30 quite comfortable. It takes a bit of work to figure out how tight to get the straps, but after the first night of use, I worked out the strap tightness. It also doesn't feel nearly as claustrophobic as the F20 does.

Anyways, hope that you find a viable solution.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oceanview,
Hope you find a mask that works for you.  As you and many others are finding out, this seems to be the hardest part of therapy.  If a mask doesn’t fit right and you are not comfortable, then your sleep will be disrupted no matter what else you do.
And not to mention the amount of money we spend just on the many different masks.   Sad

I guess I’m lucky as I can breath through my nose and never had much of an issue, but I do understand the frustration.

Here is a link that may help you.  Lots of good information. Smile

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find sleeping at the edge of my pillow when I am on my side and hence the mask is not getting impacted by the pillow helps.

I have also seen "CPAP pillows" where essentially the corners of the pillow gets cut out with the intent then to make room for the mask.

I am also an AirFit F30 user. This has worked for me. I am also a side sleeper, but I do mainly breathe through my nose.

The Phillips DreamWare Full Face may also be an option. This one is kind of slick as the hose connection is at the top of the head.

My wife used the DreamWare Full Face and I tried hers for a few minutes just to get a feel for it. It seemed fine enough, but I found the DreamWare Full Face noisier than the F30. Not sure if this is an attribute of the F30 or the ResMed QuietAir Elbow or both. On paper I was originally leaning towards the DreamWare Full Face until I discovered how quiet the F30 was.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
As a side sleeper, for me, the pillow I use is important. The pillow has to be soft enough for it to accommodate my CPAP mask. And yet, it has to be supportive enough to allow my head to remain level to some degree. 

Since having started SA therapy, I've tried 3-4 pillows until I found the right one. I still find myself adjusting my mask now & then during the night. I've acclimated to the point that I re-adjust my mask w/o issue and I'm back to sleep. 

Don't know if you're using a hose hanger or not. I am and it made a HUGE difference. Can't believe that I went so long w/o one.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
a buckwheat pillow works well for this side sleeper as it conforms to whatever's on it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 324 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,252 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 396 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 192 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,469 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 192 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 785 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.