Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Nasal pillow masks and nose ring?
Nasal pillow masks and nose ring?
Hello all! 

Do nasal pillow-style masks work well with a nose ring? I wear a simple small, fine nostril ring. It closely hugs my nostril, and it's in the standard spot (and it looks a lot like the one in the attached photo (not of me)). I also have the option of wearing a stud that has a flat backing, if that's better or worse. I wonder if the mask would push on the ring, which could be uncomfortable, or if the ring might interfere with a seal. 

I'm considering the usual suspects -- ResMed Airfit P10, ResMed Swift FX, Philips Dreamwear Gel Nasal Pillow, and the ResMed N30i, roughly in that order -- but I'm also open to other suggestions. My DME is useless, so I'm on my own with this one. 

Has anyone with a nostril ring/stud tried this style, or if you use this sort of mask, do you think it would cause a problem? Thanks for your insight! 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal pillow masks and nose ring?
Hi there! I sure don't know if it would cause a problem, but I could see how it might cause a leak problem. Then again, it might not, the nasal pillow part of it is pretty pliable. At best, I think it may work but introduce a slight fitment problem that could cause leaks as you change sleep position. Unless someone else on the board has a nosering and can answer your question from personal experience, you'll just have to try it and see.

I realize CPAP masks are not cheap, however, and if you don't want to risk finding out it does not work, necessitating buying a second mask, you might consider a nasal mask that covers the nose, like the ResMed AirFit N20 (for example, there are other brands).

https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apnea...irfit-n20/

[Image: 12296.png]

Sorry I cannot definitively answer your question, maybe someone else will be able to, but if it does pose a problem, you'll be able to easily address it with another mask. Good luck! Let us know what you find out!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your insight and encouragement!

I currently use an AirTouch N20, and I like it a lot… except for persistent rainout that I’ve tried everything to solve and haven’t yet. (But that’s a topic for another thread.) My plan is to order a few pillow-style masks from a place with a generous return policy and just dive into the trial-and-error of it all. I’ll report back when I do — fingers crossed!
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask is not causing your rainout problem. If you do not have it, you may consider getting the ClimateLineAir tubing (heated tubing). When plugged in to your AirSense 11, it will automate your tubing and humidity settings and should clear up the rainout issue, unless your room is excessively cold.

If you don't want to invest in heated tubing, you can get a CPAP tubing cover on Amazon. Turn your humidity setting down a bit (use 3-4) and cover the slimline tubing with the cozy, and you should find the rainout problem solved.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve done all of those things, and the rainout persists. I don’t think the mask is causing the rainout, but it’s one of a few challenges I’m working on.
Post Reply Post Reply
astrasleep;
Have You tried putting the tube cover over the mask extension hose ??
leaving the first part of thr heated climiteline at the machine uncovered ..
Best of Luck ..
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I have, but no luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow! I've never experienced rain out with a ClimateLine tube and I don't use the cover. That's a tough one!
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, it’s tough. Curious to see how it changes as I continue to dial in other variables, like perfecting/exploring mask fit, and as the temperatures rise. In the meantime, I’ve gotten it down to one or two waterboardings a night, so I’ll take the W and keep going!
Post Reply Post Reply
You would probably solve this if you used something to lift your hose a good bit higher than your machine.  

I use this one:  https://www.amazon.com/North-American-He...rican+cpap

and it works quite well.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hybrid Masks more comfortable than over the nose FF mask? sleepingbetterinFl 1 46 5 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 170 Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Last Post: jake79
  Skin Irritation from Masks Granny7 19 2,734 04-13-2024, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 990 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 116 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
Question [Equipment] How does the CSV extract from Wellue SpO2 ring look like? Ayush Shrivastava 2 150 04-05-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Ayush Shrivastava
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 516 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.