Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Medistrom Pilot 24 Plus Overheat!
RE: Medistrom Pilot 24 Plus Overheat!
So just to follow up… I emailed Choice One Medical, who owns Medistrom, and told them about the overheating issue. They replied promptly, gathered all the information about the battery (turns out I’ve had it for over 6 years) and told me that the battery has passed its useful life. (Yeah, I kinda figured that.)

They did offer to sell me the current equivalent model at a deep discount, about half of the retail price. I’m still debating. We get power outages fairly often and I do need battery power for my CPAP in our RV, so I need to have some kind of power supply.

In the meantime, I did some research about lithium battery fires and it is indeed “a thing”, although the instances are rare. If I do accept their offer for a discounted replacement, I’ll limit its charging to daytime when I’m home rather than just leaving it plugged in.

Sleep well, everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Medistrom Pilot 24 Plus Overheat!
Well that is a good result. Half price sounds fair, unless you can help on this board about rigging up a safer and cheaper 12 Volt backup system.

I also have on of these Medistrom batteries, but have only had it for around 6 months.
I will charge this once a month, just long enough to get it fully charged and then remove the power.

Did they say with the definition of "useful life" is? 2 to 4 years perhaps?

General Question:

Is it just the Lithium batteries that suffer from thermal overload?

What about the older Nickel Cadmiums? 
Not sure which is in my electric toothbrush or shaver will have to check on that. Best not to leave any of things charging overnight or all day.

And what about mobile phones? I see my Samsung Galaxy is also Lithium based.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Connect Medistrom Pilot 12 Plus to Airsense 11 and Airmini? ICS55 2 306 02-18-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: ICS55
  Pilot-24 no longer recognizes CPAP DanDV 1 623 08-20-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Money [CPAP] Repair Z1 or purchase Pilot-24 Lite Battery CJH1968 3 595 08-13-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Medistrom Pilot Charging ? Lindah 1 834 02-08-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Lindah
  How Many Nights of Travel with the PILOT-24 LITE battery with Resmed Air Mini dreamstream 1 1,175 08-28-2020, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Polarity of Pilot-24 Lite DC output? psteckler 11 1,942 08-12-2019, 11:35 PM
Last Post: psteckler
Question Medistrom Pilot 24 Plus and Co-Pilot 24: Any owners having charging issues? DaveY 6 5,260 11-23-2018, 06:19 PM
Last Post: DaveY

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.