Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] New mask odor
New mask odor
I'm new to cpap and here. I've had my machine a week and used it once. My under nose "piece" and tubing smells horrible. It has aired this whole week and still stinks. My hands smell like it after I handle it. I grabbed the bag to be able to say what it is...I can smell this odor from the other pieces through two layers of packaging. I am not scent sensitive. These are Philips Respironics Dreamwear. They are deamy soft... Idk what to do. Please help...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New mask odor
Welcome Thick’s, That must be a manufacturing blunder. I use the same mask and never experienced anything like that. If it stinks that bad I would assume it’s not just a surface problem but it’s probably throughout the silicone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!! That is sort of what I'm thinking too. My hubs just picked up some vinegar to try cleaning it and then let it air/dry more. It just doesn't seem like something that is going away. Sooo...probably need to call the company that sent it to me? All of my stuff was mailed. I was told if I have issues to call and make an appointment. That seemed strange to me too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Soak in a mild vinegar/water solution. Rinse well. Air dry.

if the smell is still there, then yeah, contact the company.

I use the Nuance pillow mask. Sometimes I put on a new piece and it has little to no smell. Other times, wow.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks... I'll give it a shot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whenever I get a new ResMed mask (F30i or P30i or N30i) they do smell 'new' but only for a day and never enough to rub off on your hands. Never had that with Philips mask I have used on the past.

Sounds like a quality control issue or a "new design feature"!

I would return this to the vendor but if you got this via mail order then that leaves you without a mask for a while.
I would certainly raise the issue with them, if this is a quality control issue you won't be the only one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,528 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,217 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Gross Odd odor from repaired CPAP (motor blower Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset) Suggestions? UncollapseMeThroat 8 1,744 09-03-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: mrmagloo
  How to get rid of odor from not having water in humidifier? vroomvroom 3 1,005 10-28-2020, 12:38 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  [Equipment] Odor after the humidifier ran dry christay 7 2,996 04-15-2020, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Gary Mussar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.