Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Off-grid Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :)
RE: Off-grid Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :)
Ok im back from work So having time to write.  I call another success.  Rolleyes
It worked another 10 hours on machine,  phone full charge and still 15% left. 
So probably another 1 hour on machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Money 
Only one test is left having cpap conected in same time i will be charging it with 5v usb c cable... So in scenario when im only somwhere where 5v is avaliable. It simulates a situation when i would be on a plane or on a train. And want to Save some power. That i do tommorow... For now super happy...
Im curious if smaler battery would handle similar load like
xtpower xt-20000qc3
Is like 1/3 cheaper. You would  probably loose 2-3h but that is still ~10h of cpap usage.

So for now my setup costs me 150Euro (160$) including shipping. I think is hard to go lower. Perhaps with xtpower xt-20000qc3 as it costs 75Euro than full setup would cost ~100euro (110$)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Off-greed Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :)
(08-23-2022, 04:24 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Turn the humidifier off to prolong the run time.  Also, put it in Airplane mode too.

mumin50 - maybe I missed it, but in your testing was 1) the humidifier turned off and 2) was it in airplane mode also?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Off-greed Battery Powered CPAP - my new out of box cheap setup :)
(08-26-2022, 06:18 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: mumin50 - maybe I missed it, but in your testing was 1) the humidifier turned off and 2) was it in airplane mode also?

Yes and Yes...
All tests are with the humidifier turned off and airplane mode. Why? Is easy, it saves power... Probably with humidifier on 3 you could get full night (7-8h) from that power bank. 
But for me humidifier almost all the time is off. In case dry hotel room with airco I would probably put a wet towel near my A-10. Not sure how much power is taken with airplane mode off. Probably is minimal usage with airplane mode off... curious what technology is used to transfer data... Lora, GSM or something else... hmm  Thinking-about  didn't set my wifi inside.
But for sure you can't use heated hose with that.

There is still one test left... Using it with CPAP and charging power bank from 5v outlet with usb-c, and perhaps using CPAP + charging phone and charging it with usb-c cable... I have decent 2,5A 5v power brick from Raspberry pi.
As bonus i will try to use other power bank to charge this one, not sure if possible but i have a xiaomi 20000mAH so time to find out   Too-funny
That should cover most of scenerios i can experience...
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok last test done.
Start values
Battery 96%
Phone 9%

Connected resmed a-10 and phone to output and 2.5A 5V charger to usb C input.

10h sleep later and a full phone im on 93%
So i call it success
Post Reply Post Reply
So to sumarise:

Plus side 
+++got power for 1-2 nights of cpap 12-16h depending from presure. I have 7-13cmH2O
+++ posibility to charge other devices mobile phone, gopro camera, etc.... (5-24V, on 24v max 80W), at same time as using cpap(!)
++ can be taken to airplane as it is 99Wh, has all German TUV certification...
+++ diferent possibilities to charge it and fast charging. (2-2.5h). 
+can be charged by solar panel (-not included)
++ can be charged when discharging so it can be used as buffor battery and be used as spare power supply in case orginal dies.

Minus side
--hard to get cable for A-10 (but other person in German group showed me where to buy and they are there Big Grin  )
-need to remember to set voltage to 24V. If you use to charge your laptop 19v you need to remember to change it back to 24V.
--no adapter to cpap with set or by producer - that would be nice Tongue
-is not small... perhaps not minus in total... 14x8x4cm

So that is all... if any questions im there.
Post Reply Post Reply
mumin50, I bought this exact power bank. It works fine with humidity and heated hose turned ON (but only 3 hours of use) , but when I turn humidity and heated hose OFF, the battery pack turns off automatically within minutes. I suspect my Resmed Airsense uses so little power at 6cm pressure that the XTPower 'thinks' that no power is being drawn and it shuts off automatically to preserve energy. Did you have similar experiences? How many nights have you used it so far? Any thoughts from your side would be very welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm doing a long-haul flight  later in the year, so have also bought a 12v/24v in - 24v out dc-dc converter.   I'm not sure if my seat will have a mains outlet (it may, depending on the aircraft)  - but I am also taking my little disability-scooter with me in the hold.  

I see that, according to regulations, i will be required to take the scooters Li-Ion battery into the cabin with me ....  24v   11.6 Ah - 292.32 Wh   Wink
 “Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.”   - DH  Lawrence

oldman
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is big deal (boom) that you can charge it at the same time as you are using it.  It will work like a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).  Most of the small lithium battery makers, that I have found on Amazon, discourage this.

The big problem with the 24 volts is getting the cord and plug---can you tell us more about the cord and plug you got.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 208 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 5 1,954 04-02-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 333 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,815 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,094 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 2,043 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 283 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.