Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Pillow/mask setting impact on data
Pillow/mask setting impact on data
My Airsense 10 Autoset shows me using a "pillow." Actually I use a Mirage FX, which I think categorizes as a face mask, not a "pillow."

I'll go in a change it, but I'm wondering whether this setting makes any different in the data or in its interpretation by OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pillow/mask setting impact on data
The main reason is believed to be affecting reported leak rates. Resmed reports unintentional leak rates by subtracting the vent rate for the type of selected mask (compared to Phillips Respironics which reports all leaks including normal leaking).

Some mask rates vary though (for example an F20 with quietair elbow is clearly different then a regular elbow although still a full face mask) so I am not sure how clinically relevant the changes are.

I have seen some theories on it affecting operation by taking into account mask resistance (hose type setting affects this for example) but I haven't seen literature/evidence to back that up whereas there is Resmed documentation saying you have to select the right mask type to calculate unintentional leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pillow/mask setting impact on data
Let's ask a related question. Suppose you have a ResMed AirSense 10 machine but you use a DreamWear nasal cradle mask. How does ResMed know which nasal mask you are wearing? Does ResMed have specs on all masks so they can subtract the expected leak rate particular to the mask you are wearing. My guess -- they don't know which mask you are wearing, so the subtract a ResMed expected mask leak and go from there. Lots of wiggle room for errors here.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 74 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 154 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,184 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 856 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,865 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 265 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.