Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tongue position and apnea
Tongue position and apnea
Hello
A number of years ago my doctor examined me to see if he could determine what was causing my sleep apnea. He thought that the major cause of my airway obstruction was a narrowing of my airway behind my tongue. Based on this I had surgery to move my tongue forward so that I would have more airway area. I had hyoid advancement surgery and another procedure. The hyoid advancement surgery involved moving the bone that the tongue connects to forward and then reattaching it to the lower jaw. This bone is connected to the lower jaw so when I move my lower jaw forward I have more airway area behind my tongue and when I move it back I have less area. The surgery did not completely cure my apnea but I think it helped. I then tried a dental device and it seemed to help but I still needed cpap. A dental device helps with apnea by I assume moving and holding the jaw (and tongue) forward. For a number of years I wore a dental device then snorban device at the same time that I used cpap. This seems a little extreme but it worked for me. I am not recommending it to others. I am now in the process of getting some dental implants and do not think I will be able to wear the snorban device again. It seems like my chin strap is now pulling my jaw back some. A full face mask seems to do the same thing. Both of these things could reduce my airway area during sleep.

Does anybody know a good way to keep your jaw forward without a dental device while using cpap. My encore pro reports are ok now but I still would like to improve my treatment if I can.

GeneS
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tongue position and apnea
Not sleeping on your back. Side sleeping or stomach sleeping would help keep the tongue forward.

A few folks have had success with jaw placement by using a sport mouth guard. It keeps the teeth lined up.

If your AHI is less than 5, that's where you need to be.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Some chinstrap manufacturers claim that their designs will prevent the jaw from being pulled backward. The Respironics Premium Chinstrap is one. I have no experience with it, yet.

I wear a night guard to keep my teeth from grinding. I think this keeps my lower jaw from retracting. Everyone's anatomy is different so it's hard to say what will really work.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply

The snorban device [commercial link removed by Admin - please see note below] is probably similar to a sport mouth guard or night guard but I can check it out. I was concerned that any pressure on the new posts from a mouth device could cause a problem. Maby I will change my mind after I get my new implants. I will check out the Respronics premium chinstrap.

GeneS

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 91 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 395 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 973 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.