Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Equipment Recommendation?
Equipment Recommendation?
I am currently using a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with good success (inspite of Lincare's lack of information) with information on the device operation from this forum. My question is: I will be going on an extended (up to 8k miles) motorcycle trip with as much camping as possible without external power. I have looked, via the internet, at both battery pack for the AirSense 10 and at a new machine called the Z1 Auto with its battery pack. My healthcare provide has given me a prescription for the Z1 Auto but I have not filled it yet. Has anyone had any experience with the Z1 Auto and if so what can you share both positive and negative. The cost of the Z1 Auto is very high as is most apnea hardware but I do have some money in a use or lose health savings account that could go to the purchase of the Z1 Auto. My wife tells me that if I purchase the Z1 Auto that I will not be staying in ANY motels during my cross country trip. So information is important. Also comments on the ResMed battery pack are welcomed too.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Equipment Recommendation?
I'd be surprised if an A10 with a non-heated slimline hose, the humidifier turned off, and some power hungry features like EPR and AutoSet disabled consumes all that much more power than the lowest power 12v brick. The A10 is not particularly large if you don't use the carrying case. ResMed makes a 12v to 24v DC-DC converter for the machine so it runs just fine off a battery.

How do you propose to recharge the battery every day? Unless you use expensive lithium technology, how do you propose to lug a battery with enough amp-hours to run your machine all night?
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a good thread on ADVrider http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825663

There have been some very nice advances recently in Li-ion batteries and the PowerAdd Pilot Plus 32000 ma-hr looks especially promising. The battery is available on Amazon and near the end of that linked thread are some good ideas on how to charge it. Your Resmed machine uses 24 volts and is a bit more challenging to operate than the Respironics 12 Volt units. The Z1 is probably great as a travel machine, and is mentioned in that thread as well as the Transend.

There are some good solutions at this point. I have two Respironics PRS1 60 series machines and will use one for travel without the humidifier or heated hose, and power from a PowerAdd Pilot Plus Battery and recharge off the bike using a 12 volt battery charger with a portable charger like what is mentioned in post 142 or 155 of the ADVrider thread.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess at this point, I should add my other avatar. Cool

[Image: 293042640.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Farther,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The Z1 is enticingly small. Especially for a motorcycle trip. there have been some other threads on it, and there is at least one poster who really loves it, but it definitely has its drawbacks.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ve-one-yet
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I've got a Transcend.... a competitor to the Z-1 in the portable CPAP market. Check Somnetics the manufacturer for outlets..

The biggest issue in using CPAP off the power grid is are you able to deal with no heated humidification?

I live in a semi-truck sleeper 300 nights a year. Even the huge batteries of a semi can't power a CPAP with heated humidification for a full 8 hours. If you read the fine print on any of the commercial battery packs for CPAP they will normally say... no heated humidification.

Also....you're using a fairly low pressure (7 from your profile) so that will help battery life. Above 16 most CPAP batteries have a problem lasting a full 8 hours so you need to upsize the batteries... Example I use a 16 hr battery for my Trancend at 16 pressure to get a full 8 hrs use. The 8 hr pack wouldn't make it a full night.

The Transcend and Z-1 can charge off any 12-V outlet. The Transcend has a solar charging panel as an option.

The big issue would be to try using your home CPAP with the humidifier turned off for a few nights and see how your nose and sinuses feel. Really look at nasal irrigation with something like NeilMed sprays. I order mine online but Walgreen and Jewel sometimes have it. It's just a spray of sterile saline.. you rinse your nose out. Sounds gross but feels great.

For me if I go more than 3-4 days without heated humidification my nose is so raw it bleeds. I need heated humidification but then I've been on CPAP for 13 years now and my nose probably has been abused enough.

There are some other threads in the equipment section discussing the merits of Z-1 to Transcend if you dig around a little.

They are pricey.... $ 8-900 with battery pack etc. But... I've got a couple a rider buddies who love their Trancends. If fits in the saddle bags a lot better than a normal home pap.

(Just a truck driver with sleep apnea )
Post Reply Post Reply
I ended up purchasing a Z1 Auto last friday and have been using it for a couple of hours each night with finishing the night on my ResMed AirSense 10. I have not used the battery yet. My first impression was that this unit is very small. My second impression was that this unit is very loud. Most of the sound seems to be coming from the mask although I am wearing the same mask with the Z1 that I am wearing with the ResMed model, both set at the same pressure. So it is a mystery to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your experience is similar to what other users have reported. Since the Z1 is small, the fan turns at a much higher rate causing turbulence and noise heard through the mask. An inline filter might help, but I think this is just a feature of the Z1 and the reason it isn't very highly rated as an everyday machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2015, 09:39 AM)Farther Wrote: I ended up purchasing a Z1 Auto last friday and have been using it for a couple of hours each night with finishing the night on my ResMed AirSense 10. I have not used the battery yet. My first impression was that this unit is very small. My second impression was that this unit is very loud. Most of the sound seems to be coming from the mask although I am wearing the same mask with the Z1 that I am wearing with the ResMed model, both set at the same pressure. So it is a mystery to me.

I am in the same boat with the exact same results......small, easily packable, but terribly noisy. At home I have used the Z1 Auto with great success by hooking up to the F&P HC 150 stand alone humidifier. Running it throught the humidifier cuts the perceived noise level by more than half and makes the unit very usable (I am running APAP-3 mode).

HDM is currently working on a noise suppressor attachment that is supposed to be in production possibly April, but they always seem late on their promises. From what I have read it is a piece of hardware that fits between machine and hose that acts a a noise suppressor similar to the effect that I get with the F&P humidifier. Hopefully this noise reduction device will be small enought that it doesn't take away too much from the packability of the Z1.

If you go to HDM web site and go to support forum and read the thread that is titled Z1 Auto Noisy, you'll see one of the replies from HDM about the noise suppressor.

I have a motorcycle trip coming up soon so I hope they have the device out soon, obviously I am not going to pack the humidifier, but I might consider just bringing the water tub by itself, it's about the size of a softball and it will also cut down the noise just by itself, but this really does ruin the advantage of the Z1 packability and small size.

As Sleeprider mentioned the Z1 and the Transcend use small, fast spinning turbines to produce the needed air flow, and if you look at the intake nozzle and exit nozzle you'll see that what they do is produce a small volume of fast moving air, then you'll notice that the all important hose adapter is in essence a reverse Venturi which uses Bernouli's principle to allow the fast moving air to rapidly slow down with the increasing volume in the hose adapter which in turn increases the air pressure. That's how they get the air pressure from the small machine to come up to what you need for cpap therapy pressure, so they are using some aerodynamic tricks to make these little machines work and that's where you get the airflow noise resonating up the hose and into your mask. I have experimented with ear plugs and they don't really help much because the noise is going right from your mask and into your head, sorta being transmitted to your facial bones and sinus cavities.

Just for grins take off the filter cap on the Z1 and compare the inlet nozzle sizzle to that of your home machine and you'll see what I mean about small air circuit with fast moving air. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 118 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] BiPAP Replacement Recommendation Prowler 1 262 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 551 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 601 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,337 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.