Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Equipment Recommendation?
RE: Equipment Recommendation?
(04-07-2015, 01:26 PM)under pressure Wrote:
(04-07-2015, 12:26 PM)GeoffD Wrote: I don't see what the big deal is with transporting a ResMed Airsense 10, S9, or PR System One? I've carried my A10 on a little ERJ-145 in a small canvas bag with clothing for 3 days. It doesn't consume that much space in my roll-aboard when I'm flying bigger equipment. I've also had my S9 and HSi humidifier in a roll-aboard.

An HDM Z1 is a big pile of money for a technically inferior machine compared to buying a sub-$90 ResMed 12v to 24v DC-DC converter (or power cord for a 12v PR machine) on the internet and a $200 35 amp-hour lithium motorcycle battery on Amazon that weighs 4 pounds.

I did a DC-DC converter, a 25 pound 35 amp-hour AGM wheelchair/scooter battery, and a battery tender to charge it for $180.00. I don't need the weight savings of a lithium battery and my overnight airplane flights are in business class where there is 110v AC power at the seat.

If I were hiking or bicycle camping where weight & volume are a big deal, I'd think about a Z1 setup. Even then, the recharging logistics would limit what I could take on.

This thread was started by Farther concerning good machine to pack on an extended motorcycle trip. There is no room for an Airsense when packing a motorcycle for an extended trip! SPACE IS VERY LIMITED, SO IS WEIGHT ALLOWANCE!

A machine like the Transcend or the Z1 are about the only machines that make sense for a LONG trip..........I know Sleeprider packs a larger unit, but when I pack a motorcycle its for a week long trip and there just ain't that much room for a large cpap machine.

I've done many trips using a Remstar Auto M-Series. CPAP stuff goes into one side-case with some extra shoes and whatever fits. I pack a topcase side case and waterproof duffle. It's more than some guys carry, but it is manageable and fun. It's not like we don't know what works on a motorcycle trip.

[Image: 293043Medium.jpg]

[Image: 293042Medium.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's great for you, doesn't work for me.

It's a pint size machine, or no machine at all.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2015, 04:11 PM)under pressure Wrote: That's great for you, doesn't work for me.

It's a pint size machine, or no machine at all.

No machine at all is not an option for me. If I had the 24 volt integrated Humidifier Airsense 10 I'd probably be in your boat.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2015, 02:10 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I've done many trips using a Remstar Auto M-Series. CPAP stuff goes into one side-case with some extra shoes and whatever fits. I pack a topcase side case and waterproof duffle. It's more than some guys carry, but it is manageable and fun. It's not like we don't know what works on a motorcycle trip.

That was my point. It's not like a CPAP machine is multiple cubic feet of volume or 100 pounds. I did a 3 night west coast business trip last week where I was flying the short segment on an ERJ-145. I had no problem fitting my clothes and my A10 into a canvas bag that would fit in the wimpy overhead. The weight of the A10 and the power brick were no big deal walking between terminal B and terminal F at O'Hare. If you're sleeping in a bed with AC power, why wouldn't you want your real APAP machine with humidifier instead of a brick with a lot of design compromises.
Post Reply Post Reply
No point arguing with you Geoff. But I will ask you when was the last time you tried to pack a Ducati for six country trip in Europe through the Alps having to carry fowl weather gear and everything you needed for a 14 day trip on two wheels (sometimes one wheel <giggle>) not to mention using the machine to sleep with on the plane both over the pond and back with no usable electrical connection in an older aircraft?

I literally did not have the room for a full size machine, it was one of the little ones or nothing, and like Seeprider said, no machine was not an option.

Just face it, there is a definate market for the small machines, you may not like it, but plenty of others have found the Z1 or the Transcend a true life saver when there's simply no room for a larger machine. I could probably fit at least three Z1s if not four in the space you take up for your one A10.

To each there own, your situation does not translate to everybody using a cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2015, 07:13 PM)under pressure Wrote: To each there own, your situation does not translate to everybody using a cpap.

I meant to type: "to each Their own"

Must have run out of edits for today Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
that fowl weather will get u everytime!

Rolling laughRolling laughRolling laughRolling laugh

[Image: maryland-duck-431x300.jpg]

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2015, 07:17 PM)DariaVader Wrote: that fowl weather will get u everytime!

It will indeed.......first day on the road last forty miles was riding in snow Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
It is very good, travel companion but expensive and noisy.
Sleep Disorder Treatment : http://thehealthysleep.in/
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2015, 06:33 PM)Farther Wrote: I will be going on an extended (up to 8k miles) motorcycle trip with as much camping as possible without external power.

This is a very tardy follow-up.  On May 25, 2015, I retired and seven days later started out on my cross country motorcycle trip.  The first day I rode 500+ miles and that night I camped near Nampa, ID.  7:30 AM, I was on the road on I-84 heading east and at 8:30 I was involved in a hit & run accident that totaled my motorcycle.  Some guy in a lifted GM product pickup hit me from the rear and the flatbed truck that was next to me.  The guy took off and was never found.  I do have to say the people on the highway that morning were great.  Other motorists on the interstate shielded me with their cars from the traffic, the two young Boise firefighter-medics who responded were highly professional and when they saw my IAFF pin on my jacket they were even nicer to this old firefighter.  The ID State Police officer went out of his way, staying with me until the wrecker came for my bike and then driving around town to the dealer and then my motel room.  I was very shaken and every joint that didn't hurt on the first day, hurt on the second day.  I had body aches & pains and a lingering headache for several days but did not sustain any long term injuries.  Fortunately for me a head injury does not involve a vital organ.  I rented a car and drove back home.

In a couple of days, I did continue my cross country trip but with my 2012 Miata SE.  My head was not really on the trip but I put 12,000 miles on the car in about six weeks and drove from NorCal to Florida, to Maine and then back to NorCal.  I visited friends and family in South Dakota, Minnesota, Tennesee, Georgia, Florida, and Maine.  

The Z1 Auto worked very well both on the batteries and plugged in.  But I am not giving up my ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset anytime soon.  I adapted to the higher Z1-Auto noise level within the first night and the lack of humidification did not present a problem.  I have three batteries and a single battery lasts me the whole night but takes several hours to charge and doesn't seem to charge while using and plugged in.  So my plan to alternate motel with camping to keep the batteries topped off didn't work as well as I had planned.  But I charged the batteries from the car power plug which worked well enough to keep going with three batteries.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 119 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] BiPAP Replacement Recommendation Prowler 1 263 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 552 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 601 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,338 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.