Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed AirSense 10 Heating System Fault
ResMed AirSense 10 Heating System Fault
I have a ResMed AirSense 10 that I just got last September.  I got this one to use after my DreamStation was recalled.

Sometime in January it started displaying "Heating System Fault - System will run without heating" when it powers up.  It does indeed not heat the water in the humidifier tank at all, leaving me very dry.

I called my supplier, and they said that it wasn't under warranty, and they were very evasive when I asked how long the warranty is.  I suspect this means they gave me a reconditioned unit, though there's nothing on the unit that indicates this in any way.  They suggested I fill out a "broken beyond repair" form and have my doctor write a new prescription, though the latest time I talked to them they were still saying I needed to wait 5 years for the next machine.  It's not clear to me they know what they're doing, or possibly they're being evasive because they don't have any machines.

Does anyone have any suggestions, either on what I could do to fix the AirSense, or on what I should tell my provider or insurance in hopes of getting them to send me a replacement?

Or should I just wait for Phillips to get around to replacing my DreamStation?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Heating System Fault
So, the machine dies after less than a year and they refuse to fix/replace it. I would next make a call to your insurer and tell them what is going on. According to my DME, if you are on Medicare, they are required to warranty the machine out to 5 years. They told us that when my wife's 2nd Dreamstation bit the dust and they sent her a third one. She is now on a ResMed machine. The rules may be different with your insurer.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it is just the Heating Plate that has failed, if you can obtain the Parts, this is fairly easy to change.

I think you should be able to find someone selling off ResMed Parts on eBay or Gumtree etc, most will be pre-used, but some may be New.

You need to remove the upper covers, because the electrical connector will need to be unplugged from the MotherBoard.

Search YouTube and you will find many Videos showing you how to disassemble a ResMed S10.

But the Heating Plate unit is unscrewed from below, and includes the lower metal cover, a silicone seal, and the Heating Unit itself, plus connecting wire going to the MotherBoard.

I'm pretty sure there is a Fuse on the Heating Unit, but cannot find my images of that at the moment.

But it may be worth checking the Fuse?

It should not really have blown, unless something got very wet perhaps, which could be in a former life if this Unit was not actually new.

Putting it back together is easy, the only tricky part is getting the Silicone Seal positioned well before screwing it back down.

But be aware the edges of the metal plate parts are very, very sharp.

Indeed, you may wonder how I know that!

If you are familiar with electrical components, or know someone who is, then it may be possible to test the Heating Unit with a Bench Top Power Supply, to see if it works, or if it has any abnormal readings in terms of resistance.

But the simplest option is to complain and have this fault corrected by who ever sold you the machine.

I hope this helps.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
I've just found images of the Heater Unit, and can firstly say that there are three Orange wires that link it to a single Connector on the MotherBoard.

Also, there is a Fuse located on the underside of the Heater Unit.

I cannot see what type exactly but, it looks like it does clip in, so should be easy to replace without needing to resort to the Soldering Iron!

I think I have one out somewhere, so will see if I can find that, then will see if the Fuse comes out, and also hopefully identify what type of Fuse it is.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Been looking through images, and I noted that on one of my curious little pile of ResMed S10 projects, the Heating Unit looked quite crabby.

By that I mean if you pick up the machine, look at the metal plate below the Humidification Chamber area, and examine the four T10 M3 15mm Torx Screws (12mm of thread, 1.25mm thread pitch) that hold it in place.

Are these nice and shiny?

Or are they all corroded and covered in oxidisation/corrosion, or what looks like white powder?

If the latter, that may well suggest there has been some water spillage, probably a lot over time, and that has corroded the screws.

That machine inside also had some of the same in and around the Heater Plate. I have not tested that at all, but made a note that I would regard that Heater Unit as possibly defective.

It's also possible such corrosion is more benign, if it's from the bottom up, rather than top down. Such as if the machine habitually sat in water because the owner tended to splash water around when filling the tank. If so, then the rubber seal may have prevented any ingress upwards unless it was sat in very deep water!

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for providing details; I've learned a lot.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2022, 10:27 AM)MoreBeers Wrote: I've just found images of the Heater Unit, and can firstly say that there are three Orange wires that link it to a single Connector on the MotherBoard.

Also, there is a Fuse located on the underside of the Heater Unit.

I cannot see what type exactly but, it looks like it does clip in, so should be easy to replace without needing to resort to the Soldering Iron!

I think I have one out somewhere, so will see if I can find that, then will see if the Fuse comes out, and also hopefully identify what type of Fuse it is.

MoreBeers

By chance did you ever identify that fuse? I'm trying to replace mine now but cannot find any information on it anywhere.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,806 3 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 420 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,616 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 618 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,150 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,612 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,802 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.