Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed Mini vs Dreamstation Go
RE: ResMed Mini vs Dreamstation Go
[I posted this elsewhere on this site. You may or may not find it helpful. Traveling with the Go has been a breeze. I continue to use it full time at home.]

Recently I decided to research and purchase a new travel APAP for frequent trips from California to northern Europe. A typical trip includes 10.5 hour KLM 787-9 overnight flights from SFO to AMS. I scoured various apnea boards and watched YouTube videos for data about the Phillips Respironics Go and ResMed Mini. You may see the following as an infomercial for the Phillips Respironics Go (hereafter Go), but I have no connection to any CPAP company. I just want to add one person’s experience.

I’ve used a CPAP/APAP for almost five years with usually about 2 AHI with a prescription min/max of 4-9. I have used a ResMed S9 and S10 (with and without humidifiers) and a HMD Z1 (and have its battery pack). I very much like the S9; it's reliable and solid and quiet. The S10 on a short trial seemed noisier and bulkier. The S9’s and S10’s algorithm does tend to stay at upper limits, for good or bad, after you happen to hit apneas or hypopneas. After many trials, I (and my wife) tolerate the Z1 well but it is noisier than the S9. For me, both machines require you to carry too many things if you travel (even without humidifiers). The S9 with its cumbersome brick is quite heavy and has an easily damaged electrical connect. The nice but bulky S9 carrying case adds one more piece of luggage to any trip. For travel, the Z1, although very small, effectively requires not only the basic machine, but also a mandatory plastic insert between the machine and its tube, an optional Q Tube insert for quieter nights, and a heavy brick with cables on both ends. (The S9 provides really basic information on the machine’s own screen. The Z1 has never worked smoothly with my iPhone 7 iOS 10, even after long conversations with HMD’s friendly technical support staff.)

In light of these facts with the advent of new travel machines, I decided to buy either a ResMed Mini or a Respironics Go. I was dissuaded from the Mini, despite my familiarity with the ResMed algorithm, by its cumbersome HIE insert, its strict limitation to a few proprietary mask types, and, most important, the various (possibly accurate or inaccurate) reports of high tube noise levels. I was persuaded to purchase the Go by its thoughtful integration of all components into one elegant piece. The entire Go unit, about 2 inches in width in its taut travel case, and its simple (no brick) electrical cord and tube slip easily into my computer travel bag. The configuration makes it very secure in the travel bag.

I now use the Go full time. So far, the Go itself seems to be an extremely flexible, extremely quiet device. The Go effortlessly provides to a smart phone more information than the S9 or Z1 on the Go screen or via its dedicated Blue Tooth app. (Your doctor (or you) very easily can alter the pressure limits once you know the Go’s simple medical entry protocol which can be found via this site.) The Go adjusts to use any manufacturer's various tube sizes, 12, 15, and 22, and comes with its excellent proprietary very light weight, very compact 12 mm tube. Unlike the Mini, the Go is compatible with any type of mask or nasal pillows. The Go unit appears to be very well built and has no elements that would snag (or get lost) in carry-on or checked luggage. You should not underestimate the benefits of the light, small 12 mm tube, either in packing or in using.

To my eye, the Go has the perfect, if somewhat pricey, proprietary Go battery solution. The very solid basic machine and the companion battery slide into each other to yield a fairly compact single unit. You can leave the add-on battery attached to the APAP or CPAP Go and, if power fails, the battery automatically starts. Alternatively you can charge the battery on the side and use it when you know you will not have an electrical outlet available. The battery will run the Go for about a dozen hours at moderate CPAP 10 levels. The Go currently does not have a humidifier but quite clearly has been designed for the addition at some future date.

My overall impression is that the Go’s designers were determined to avoid earlier travel CPAP issues and to make travel simple. At the moment, my perhaps too diligent research about alternatives appears to have yielded a really good solution for a person who wants a travel with an APAP or CPAP that also can be used full time at home.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks  Thank you for reposting. I would likely never have found your earlier message and it is very responsive to this thread. I can see the value of the battery and humidifier at home. The added size and weight of the battery seem to me to making packing more complicated. 

Do you travel with the battery pack? If so, how does it change the dimensions or weight?

Do you plan to travel with the humidifier or does its absence (or an HME) suffice?

Sleep-well  Harlan
Post Reply Post Reply
I do travel sometimes with both the Go and the Go battery. The Go nicely slides -- partially -- into the Go battery. The assembly is thus more compact than its parts. The Go, either alone or with its battery, is very easy to pack because of its regular rectangular shape. Remember, the two components have no brick; they just share a slim electrical cord.

The Go dimensions are 5.94"L x 5.94"W x 2.32"H at 1.6 lbs; the battery dimensions are 4.80"L x 5.94"W x 2.32"H at 1.53 lbs. The sturdy, protective Go skin-tight case for both a DreamStation Go and its Go Battery is 10.5” x 6.5” x 2.5” at less than .5 lbs or 7 ounces. The case for the Go, alone, is much smaller. 6.5” x 6.5” x 2.5” at 3.9 ounces. If you do the math, the Go and its Go battery are 4" longer than the Go alone in their respective cases.

The Go with or without the Go battery is easy to take on trips. I do not have to lug around a separate CPAP bag. I just slip the appropriate Go case into my regular computer bag. I also do not have to lug around separate parts to make the Go work, unlike, for example, the HDM Z1, or the Mini. I can use a regular ResMed light weight P10 pillow mask.

I do not use any HIE. I live on the Pacific Ocean and usually travel to two seaports, Amsterdam and Copenhagen, with relatively humid air.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks  Great information Sleep-well 

Harlan
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting and funny Youtube about Air Mini, a bit negative, but makes some interesting points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjxE7Bgb7Co

I am looking at the Dreamstation Go, or Z2 Brios.

Like Ahnald said, "I'll be back!"
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamstation Go is very nice. It isn't as quiet as a regular Dreamstation, but the "tone" sounds kind of like wind outside the window. I find it relaxing, but putting it on the floor helps a lot if it bothers you.

Fwiw, I find the 12mm hose that comes with the Go is just too small for me. It's like breathing through a straw, Luckily, the Go is compatible with any standard hose. The 15mm hose that comes with a regular Dreamstation is still very light and flexible, and only around $10 or so on Amazon. Per the specs, the machine is also a little more accurate with the 15.

Btw, as Lefty15 says in the Dreamstation Go video, the air filter has a little bump for popping the microSD card in and out. Instead of that, I just use the corner of the SD-to-microSD adapter that I use with the laptop for Oscar.
Post Reply Post Reply
As someone who travels frequently, in America and in Europe, I'm a somewhat objective partisan for the Dreamstation Go, since I also have owned and used Resmed products. The Go's format simply makes it easier to pack and easier to use. In contrast to the Mini, the Go's flexible hose port allows you to use any mask, not just a Respironics mask and to use either a 15mm or 12mm hose. (A 12mm hose takes up much less space.) The Go's proprietary battery which slides over the Go is convenient to use in the air or on the ground.

I found Lefty's video about the Resmed Mini extremely critical and also sometimes funny. He did not mention that the Mini also needs its own brick. He did stress that you could use the Go not only for travel but also at home, since it does have an SD chip to collect information. I do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the comments  looks like a go for go!
Post Reply Post Reply
New to this site and new to CPAP, I've been using a machine for just over a month. 

I travel 75-90% of the time. I have a Dreamstation for home and the Airmini for travel.

The AirMini machine is much quieter than the Dreamstation, in the hotels I can't hear the Mini. At home the Dreamstation is quiet buy I still hear the machine whirr up and down. 

I have tried 5 masks to get one right, I settled with the F20 AirTouch, it works with both machines and is comfortable, nasal masks didn't work because of constant nasal congestion. 

The F20 breathing noise is louder with the Mini than with the Dreamstation. I attribute this to the full size valve vs the mini valve. 

I like the Resmed algorithm better than the Dreamstation. If I could have the full size valve with the mini it would be all I would use. I'm going to work on making a converter to do this over Christmas when I'm home.
Post Reply Post Reply
Valve?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 130 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 120 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 740 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Humidification Issue With Air Mini ICS55 15 5,410 02-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pwnorris
Question BMC Mini M1 - Pressure Settings? SwissTruffle 0 353 12-25-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: SwissTruffle
  New to Air Mini-I need advice! tj1616 0 398 10-18-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: tj1616
  Resmed Air Mini and Freedom Battery Compatability Kags1969 1 702 08-02-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.