Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Resmed S8
RE: Resmed S8
(01-05-2015, 09:39 PM)baggy8 Wrote: Thx very much Trish........do you have a reference for this pls? J
I don't have a reference persay but I have learned it by reading through a lot of posts here on the board from people who are much more knowledgeable about sleep apnea than I.
I'm sorry I couldn't be more help to you, but just hang in there, you have a great attitude and it's good that you want to learn more about sleep apnea.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S8
(01-05-2015, 09:39 PM)baggy8 Wrote: Thx very much Trish........do you have a reference for this pls? J

It is sleep apnea. If you are awake it does not count. If you have obstructive apnea while awake that is another problem altogether. Often while awake we have what one might call a central apnea for one of many reasons and some of these breathing cessations while awake you normally do not even recognize.

There is another time where it is common to have apneas whether one has sleep apnea or not. During the time that your conscious mind is letting go of breath control and the more automatic center that controls breathing while asleep is taking over there can be some fumbled handoffs that cause a momentary cessation of breathing which a CPAP may score as an apnea if it meets the 10 second requirement. This is normal for many people that are not apneacs and so can be discounted in terms of events relevant to sleep apnea.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.