Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] SD Cards and write-protect
SD Cards and write-protect
When I first started CPAP therapy, I was running Microsoft Windows 7.  The warning in Sleepyhead & OSCAR to write-protect your SD card is absolutely needed for Windows users, any version I know of.  When my Windows notebook died, I went to a backup Windows 7 machine, then migrated everything to a Linux (Mint 18.3) unit.  As an IT professional, I had watched Microsoft's antics/insanity with Windows 10, and decided I would never trust my data or functionality to Microsoft again.

Over the years using Windows, I lost several SD cards to a failure of the write-protect slider.  It slides on a thin and fragile plastic rib, which can break, the slider can pop off, etc.  If anything happens like this, the card appears as permanently write-protected to any device, CPAP or computer.  I know its possible to use tape to fake the slider, but I was never willing to risk the tape coming loose and getting caught in a card slot.  So I have a collection of useless SD cards I'll probably throw away some day.  

However, now that I am running Linux, there is no need to change the write-protect slider at all, as Linux does not attempt to write anything to the card when it is inserted for reading.  I can't speak for Mac users, as I have never used that OS in a meaningful way.  But Linux users can dispense with the write-protect setting, and extend the life of their SD cards by doing so.

And the OSCAR team can consider removing the warning for the Linux builds.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SD Cards and write-protect
It’s only the Resmed S9 that’s affected with this issue the warning has been removed from other machines, I don’t really see the need to remove the warning for one build of OS.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SD Cards and write-protect
I switched to the FlashAir card w/ FlashPAP to download. I haven't touched the card since I started using it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 118 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Data on 2 separate SD cards. Merge? eok361 21 880 12-11-2023, 06:04 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 674 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  Compatible SD cards for ResMed AS11 suddenSomnolence 4 1,331 09-28-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  Philips Respironics Bipap Auto SV, cards and settings SenatorBirch 3 544 05-01-2023, 06:58 PM
  air leakshi, I write from Italy. I use a resmed airsense 10 cpap at pressure 13 and a papaste 3 662 02-02-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: burgess4321
  How to write/express BiPAP pressure? spetzal 5 619 11-28-2022, 09:32 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.