Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Sleep Professional said no mouth tape?
RE: Sleep Professional said no mouth tape?
Hypafix is amazing! Once I started using it I never looked back.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2021, 04:47 PM)pkersey Wrote: My recollection is she gave me clear instructions not to mouth tape. 
How could she recommend taping?  In case you suffer severely from taping, that is you're vomiting during sleep, e.g., she would be responsible for that damage as well.  But as far as I know there are more unicorns crossing the road than tapers vomiting at night. Wink)
Post Reply Post Reply
I told my respiratory therapist that I taped my mouth and could she recommend a brand of tape? She urged me not to tape, but if I had to, use a micropore tape. I found 3M's Nexcare "strong hold and pain-free removal tape for sensitive skin. It works very well. I make a little handle on each end of the tape like previously mentioned. I purse/suck my lips inward then apply the tape. Doesn't leak. I had good luck with Somnifix, but the 3M tape is more economical.

My RT also told me to change my pressure setting since she knew I knew how. Unfortunately, she retired as soon as covid struck.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2021, 03:33 PM)readingteacher Wrote: I use these every night and recommend them highly!

I use Somnifix as well and swear by it. It's expensive, tho! Something I found: you can wash these with soap and water, and I find I can reuse them for about 3 nights before the stickum becomes too weak to stick well. The tricks are:
  1. don't use hot water
  2. squirt a little mild soap on the sticky side of a previously used tape, rub gently, rinse throughly under a stream of cool water. The sticky side isn't sticky while it's being washed.
  3. lay it sticky side up on a clean towel and while holding down the tape by one of the end-tabs with a fingernail, blot very lightly with a clean, lint-free cloth. Lint free, or the sticky will no longer stick! I use a clean, unused white cotton hanky.
  4. Let it sit and air for a few minutes, then drop the backing back onto the now clean sticky side.
Ready for tomorrow nite!
Hope it helps some people's pocketbooks!  Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the other brand name.  The Somnifix are not sticking at the corners of my mouth causing my lips to chap where the air escapes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 385 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 319 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 812 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.