Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] UARS diagnosis - Which machine should I get?
UARS diagnosis - Which machine should I get?
Hello everyone --

I was diagnosed through two separate sleep studies with UARS (the first, AHI 1.0 & RDI 9.7, the second, AHI 1.7 & RDI 13.2). I have the results of both if any more detailed info is needed. 

I have an appointment with an ENT in three weeks. My father and two of his brothers are on CPAP machines, so I have a suspicion that that's the route I'm going to have to take. Since it's UARS, though, I'm thinking I'm going to have to out-of-pocket for the machine and any supplies.

If I'm correctly understanding what I read in previous posts, ResMed is the way to go with UARS, though I'm unsure whether I look into the AirSense 10 Autoset or the AirCurve 10 Vauto (or ASV, for that matter).

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: UARS diagnosis - Which machine should I get?
the prevailing opinion on this site (if I may presume) is that your best bet for uars is the resmed vauto.

it does happen that doctors will prescribe a higher level modality than apap from the get go but it's rare and even if s/he does and you go through insurance, they may make you fail apap first. since all they care about is ahi, you may be stuck with apap if, as you imply, they cover it at all given your low ahi. of course, apap might be good enough with your low ahi and mild rdi; hard to tell without trying. otoh, if you remove insurance from the equation and you have a sensible doc, you're more likely to get the rx for the vauto and skip the apap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. I was primarily looking into the AirCurve 10 Vauto but questioned my judgment when I read Sleeprider's 3/5/21 comment:

"The best unit for UARS is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset because it can target flow limitation from UARS and provide some bilevel therapy with up to 3-cm difference between inhale and exhale pressure. It is this pressure support that not only stabilizes your airway, but assists in the effort of breathing."

I thought bipap was better for UARS (Aircurve 10), and the Airsense 10 Autoset is a cpap machine, right?
Post Reply Post Reply
The VAUTO can do anything the autoset is able to do. EPR and PS are the same but the VAUTO can give pressure support from  .2 to 8 cm in .2 increments. AutoSET can only do 1, 2 or 3   

VAUTO also has several other adjustments that the autoset does not. 

But the VAUTO is more expensive. I purchased mine from Supplier #2 on the suppliers list at the top of the site. Mine was slightly used (less than one month) for 799. It came with new humidifier, reg hose and heated hose, travel bag. Everything except the mask. Great machine and great company.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The AirCurve VAuto has a greater range and flexibility than the Autoset.

The Autoset is the ONLY machine (actually any in the Airsense 10 line) in the CPAP class that can actively treat UARS.

The Autoset is the machine that most likely will be initially prescribed, It will work for some, and others will need the greater range of the VAuto BiLevel
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2021, 06:36 PM)staceyburke Wrote: The VAUTO  can do anything the autoset is able to do. EPR and PS are the same but the VAUTO can give pressure support from  .2 to 8 cm in .2 increments. AutoSET can only do 1, 2 or 3   

VAUTO also has several other adjustments that the autoset does not. 

But the VAUTO is more expensive. I purchased mine from Supplier #2 on the suppliers list at the top of the site. Mine was slightly used (less than one month) for 799. It came with new humidifier, reg hose and heated hose, travel bag. Everything except the mask. Great machine and great company.

Thanks for the clarification. So if I'm getting this right, what doctors normally do is prescribe a cpap machine since it's less expensive, then if it's not enough, they try a bipap? What would determine needing up to 8 cm of pressure, just trial and error on my own?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2021, 06:45 PM)Gideon Wrote: The AirCurve VAuto has a greater range and flexibility than the Autoset.

The Autoset is the ONLY machine (actually any in the Airsense 10 line) in the CPAP class that can actively treat UARS.

The Autoset is the machine that most likely will be initially prescribed, It will work for some, and others will need the greater range of the VAuto BiLevel

Is the only way to know if I'd be fine with the Autoset or the Vauto to try them both personally, or is there any info in my sleep studies that might point to one machine over the other? Thanks for all the great info by the way, this has been very helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
The VAuto is the machine I would choose if I was buying it.
Post Reply Post Reply
no way to know without trying. there's at least an even chance apap will help your relatively mild condition but it's more certain with the vauto. it's more expensive, more effective and more versatile and better able to handle future needs if your sdb worsens.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm definitely leaning towards the Vauto at this point. Does anyone know about the other models, like the S and the ASV? Would the Vauto still be the best choice compared to either of those models?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 960 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 168 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 67 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 624 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 197 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 80 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.