Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] USING WINTERGREEN ALCOHOL FOR CLEANING/FRAGRANCE
USING WINTERGREEN ALCOHOL FOR CLEANING/FRAGRANCE
After using wintergreen alcohol cleaning mask and water chamber I liked the fresh wintergreen smell. I have been adding a small amount to cpap wipes or just leaving the wipe used for cleaning in the water chamber with no water. I have been doing this with good results for several months. I read that some forms of alcohol can be toxic to breathe. So, I have stopped using the wintergreen alcohol for now. I have also used pure wintergreen oil on a wipe in the chamber at times. Comments welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: USING WINTERGREEN ALCOHOL FOR CLEANING/FRAGRANCE
I believe the recommended procedure for aromatherapy is to use an aroma-laden cotton ball placed near the air intake -- never in the water chamber or on the filter. However, there are those, including doctors, who recommend against aromatherapy and those that swear by it. I am not sure about putting hydrocarbons or fragrance fragments in one's lungs. But, then again, people smoke and accept the risk.

Here is an interesting study that reports positive benefits -- A systematic review of the effect of inhaled essential oils on sleep -- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK246974/ There are a number of other studies if you Google "PubMed aromatherapy sleep" without the quotes.

A systematic review of the effect of inhaled essential oils on sleep
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24720812/
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: USING WINTERGREEN ALCOHOL FOR CLEANING/FRAGRANCE
I use an Airtouch F20 cushion and my instructions say no alcohol should be used in wipes cleaning it. Not certain if this applies to the silicon cushions or not.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,787 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 159 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 236 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,906 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 207 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 412 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 649 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.