Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Use of AirSense 10 Tubing Elbow
Use of AirSense 10 Tubing Elbow
Being new to sleep therapy and to this forum, permit me to apologize up front should I transgress. Having said that, I'm puzzled by the tubing elbow that came with my ResMed AirSense 10. That is, the User Manual depicts the packaged Slimline tubing connecting directly to the machine. I'd think that pressure levels would be compromised were the tubing elbow used between the two so as to facilitate the tubing orientation.     There is clearly a pressure drop across an elbow as opposed to a simple through flow.

So, question: to use the elbow, or not to use the elbow?

Thank you in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Use of AirSense 10 Tubing Elbow
I’d bet the elbow increases noise as well. I don’t see any reason to use it, unless you need the extra length it will provide vs a sweeping curve of the tube,
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not familiar with an elbow for the machine outlet. I use a heated tube and it clicks into the machine outlet parallel with the back of the machine, so there is a 90-degree angle on all heated tubing. Without the heated tube, you probably need an adapter to connect the tubing, and a 90 degree swivel elbow would be functionally equivalent to the design of the heated tube. Pressure drop will be negligible because the flow rate is relatively small for the tube size. The design of the system is to maintain pressure through the circuit, not to flow lots of air, which should only happen when there is a large leak.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No adapter is needed, but let's assume the front of the machine is facing you, the worst possible position without the elbow. The hose MUST go completely away from you before coming back to where you need it. The elbow rotates to verticle and the sides and only requires 90 degrees of bend to get to you. IMHO the convenience is worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
A CPAP is not an open system.
Air flows from the machine to reach a target pressure, and is mainly just maintained from there.
As long as airflow isn’t restricted the pressure will be maintained even with 10 elbows.
The machine is controlling for pressure, not flow. It measures flow simply to analyse your breathing pattern.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the elbow with a slimline hose it reduces the space needed behind the machine as the hose does not stick out so far
Post Reply Post Reply
As the original poster, I'd like to thank those who replied. No longer being Sunday with ResMed beyond reach when I posted, I just got off the phone with them and learned the elbow is simply offered as nothing more than a convenience for the user to set up a desirable tubing orientation. There's nothing otherwise special about it. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 92 04-18-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  drying out tubing with machine sleepingbetterinFl 2 202 04-15-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,795 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 33 12,996 04-01-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeytime
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 409 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 653 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 397 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.