Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Viscious cycle of increased pressure -> more leak -> response of more pressure
Viscious cycle of increased pressure -> more leak -> response of more pressure
I have an autosense 10 and nasal prongs.  I have tried to persist with it but I can't sleep with it. I find that I start out with a good seal but once I change positions even minorly, more air leaks out around the prongs.  I have tried different sizes and 2 different brands.  Even if I don't shift position, I find that the pressure builds up gradually and then a constant leak occurs.  The machine ramps up to compensate and then even more air flows out.  

Any suggestions?  I am not a mouth breather but wondering if I should consider some type of mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Viscious cycle of increased pressure -> more leak -> response of more pressure
I have a P10 but have not used it much.  I use an F&P Eson (now the Eson 2 is out) at 15 with no noticeable leaks unless I roll around in bed and dislodge it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Viscious cycle of increased pressure -> more leak -> response of more pressure
I prefer the P10, but I do get slight leakage.
Every few weeks, I'll get irritation on one of my nostrils and will switch to a nasal mask (Respironics Wisp).
It is not as comfortable, which is why I don't stick with it, but my leakage is extremely low... shows as zero on the Resmed "MyAir" charts, but there is something on the Sleepyhead graphs.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Do not  use your S10 at max pressure (20) use 3cm/H2O up your's medial necessary pressure (7cm/H2O) programable in ResScan software
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2017, 08:29 AM)rdreher99 Wrote: Do not  use your S10 at max pressure (20) use 3cm/H2O up your's medial necessary pressure (7cm/H2O) programable in ResScan software

Hi and Welcome to the forum!

It looks like the OP settings are 5cm and ramping to 15cm. Or he is using auto 5-15. The lowest setting is 4cm.
These settings may or may not be optimal, which is why we usually ask for data before making recommendations.

A setting that works for one person isn't always best for another.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2017, 11:11 PM)3mp0w3r Wrote: I have an autosense 10 and nasal prongs.  I have tried to persist with it but I can't sleep with it.  I find that I start out with a good seal but once I change positions even minorly, more air leaks out around the prongs.  I have tried different sizes and 2 different brands.  Even if I don't shift position, I find that the pressure builds up gradually and then a constant leak occurs.  The machine ramps up to compensate and then even more air flows out.  

Any suggestions?  I am not a mouth breather but wondering if I should consider some type of mask.

If you have given the nasal pillow masks a try and experiencing leaks, the pillow may be too small. It should not be inserted into the nostril but sit just below (slightly inserted).

If you can't get past mouth breathing, then a full face mask may be in order.

Masks are very individual, and you may have to try something else.

When you say "more air flows out", what do you mean? The venting is in the front of the P10, and is very quiet. This is normal. If you have air leaking from around the nostrils, then the fit is wrong.

Many folk here use high pressures with a nasal pillow mask with no problems.

Also, your pressure settings may not be optimal for you. We can help zero in on that if you post some data. We can also take a look at the leak rate.

Follow the tutorials in my signature line.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 7 109 49 minutes ago
Last Post: Daveman
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 45 1,849 1 hour ago
Last Post: Uzupan
  Fan is running but no pressure from Dreamstaion Fireboss 2 57 Yesterday, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 43 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 995 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 245 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.