Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Which FFM should I try next? (female, small head)
Surprised 
Which FFM should I try next? (female, small head)
I am a female with a fairly small head (I have to wear children's glasses and use a pediatric bite block when I get dental x-rays). My nose is narrow and prominent. So far I have tried a Fisher & Paykel Simplus in medium and a ResMed Mirage Quattro in small. In both cases, the air seal pressed uncomfortably along the left side of my face between my nose and my upper cheek, right on top of my lower sinus. Since two masks in two different sizes caused me pain in the exact same place, I suspect there is something about the structure of my facial anatomy that is causing problems. Eventually I may try a nasal mask (I couldn't get used to the pillows). Does anyone have experience with full face masks that are designed for female faces? Are there other FFM styles I should try?

I have not had a mask fitting yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Which FFM should I try next? (female, small head)
I'm not certain on the exact models, but I've heard of some smaller headgear options. Since I'm the opposite with a big head, I've not looked into the possible choices. I'm sure there's some other comments coming in soon.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just changed to the Resmed F30 and found it to be very comfortable. And the cushion fits around the mouth and under the nose. Kinda like the pillows mask that includes the mouth. All parts that touch the face are soft silicone and the straps can be adjusted. This is my first FFM so I do not have a lot of experience.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, wow. I definitely want to try the F30. That looks so much more comfortable than the ones that go up over the nose. It's been like 14 hours since I took the Mirage off and I think I still have red marks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2020, 07:56 PM)lilymaebelle Wrote: Oh, wow. I definitely want to try the F30. That looks so much more comfortable than the ones that go up over the nose. It's been like 14 hours since I took the Mirage off and I think I still have red marks.

When I purchased mine, I bought both size cushions. They only come in small and medium. There is a sizing guide in the Wiki but I wanted to try both. It measures your nose but I think it is more important how it fits around your mouth.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed F30 has my vote. You can also think about the F30I which has a similar cushion but the connection is on top of your head. The F30I has about 3 different sized head bands and 4 different sized cushions. I have not used the F30I but have researched it.
  • F30i Full Face with Headgear (63331): Standard Frame with Small Cushion 

• F30i Full Face with Headgear (63333): Standard Frame with Wide Cushion 

• F30i Full Face with Headgear (63332): Standard Frame with Medium Cushion 

• F30i Full Face with Headgear (63330): Small Frame with Small Cushion 

• F30i Full Face with Headgear (63334): Large Frame with Medium Cushion 

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm another fan of the AirFit F30 mask. I started out on SA Therapy using an AirFit F20. That was okay, but I like the F30 much better. 

I've been using the same cushion since early March, and it's holding up fine. I'm shooting for one year.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using the Fisher&Paykel Simplus for about 6 years, and like it very much.  I also tried the F&P Vitera, said to be the next version of the Simplus.  It is similar, but doesn't seem to fit my face as well.  Both are comfortable and roomy.  I also use the RemZzz mask liners, as they seem to reduce leaks, and diffuse any small leaks around my eyes.  Leaks into my eyes are the hardest for me to tolerate.  I first tried the Simplus due to a number of posts here from users with good experience.  It may be worth your time to trial one or both of these masks in your search.  Supplier #26 has a great mask return policy, which maks such a search easier.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both Vitera and Simplus. Very nice, I only need a light tension on the straps to control leaking. They have this RollFit idea that is basically a bellows like fold on the cushion that expands under the air pressure to create the seal. Both do have a clear hard plastic forehead bar that is cushioned. It adds stability to the nasal bridge seal point as acting as an anchor point for the top straps. It works better than I can describe.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have a small head and face. I've had success with Resmed's AirTouch F20 foam mask. Their AirFit (silicone mask) can be hard on my nose bridge, and my bottom lip wants to escape. But the AirTouch foam mask fits better for me and is more comfy. It is a tad snug on my cheek near my sinus, but for me it's fine. I also use the For Her (pink) headgear - big difference in fit for me; try the For Her headgear if you haven't yet.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,287 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  CPAP Does Not Control Small Chokes Buitlear 27 1,916 12-03-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Buitlear
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 462 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 678 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [CPAP] ResMed A10 small particles in distilled water in humidifier tank GuitarRebel 24 4,948 08-29-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Man, I hate leaks...even small ones David Clark 9 1,072 07-11-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.