Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Excessive events ftom 5-7 AM
Excessive events ftom 5-7 AM
I've been waking up at 5 AM and see my AHI around 5.  I go back to sleep until 7 AM and the airsense 10 reads 15 AHI.  To make my reading go to 15, it seems I'd have to have 55 events an hour from 5-7.  Is there something odd about the way the numbers are calculated?  What would cause so many events at the end of a night's sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Excessive events ftom 5-7 AM
Nearly always it's REM sleep. Can you do a Sleepyhead chart? It could be seasonal allergies or nothing specific. Usually, towards the end of summer, I have sudden increases due to fires in the West, despite leaving windows closed and a/c on filtering the air.

Generally, what you have to do with an Elite is raise the pressure a little bit every 3-4 nights until events stop happening that wake you. You can raise .2 or .4 and try that. Large changes tend to be problematic.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check your graphs in Sleepyhead.
My AS10 seems to pick up on CAs that are really invalid due to being awake or partially awake, and it reports them to MyAir, but I might be at only one "valid" hypopnea for the night.

Morning does seem to be my worst time as well, often on weekends after 4:30am (when I normally get up weekdays)
My internal alarm clock will wake me at 4:30 even if I forget to set my alarm.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've been downloading my SD card into both RESScan as well as Sleepy Head.  ResScan calls some events "centrals" while sleepy head calls them "clear airway."  In either case, there are lots of events in the 5-7 AM timeframe.  Do you think it is just that I am partially awake?   I am trying to see if there is any relationship between hours I sleep (varies from 8 - 10), whether or not I ate a big dinner, whether EPR is on or off and finally if I'm using the Airsense 10 in CPAP or APAP mode.   I'm also a high altitude (8000') which typically requires a higher pressure.   I need a personal sleep doc to analyze this data but I'm in the mountains for the summer and the doc up here is booked out to Oct.

Thanks for your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Clear Airway is Central.
That is when your CNS produces the apnea event... it is not obstructive in nature, and for some reason it is common for the machines to trigger false-CA events when we are partially awake.
These likely are not "real", and unless excessive during the entire night, are not a cause for concern... but it can be frustrating chasing the elusive AHI=0.0
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2017, 07:19 PM)klmaish Wrote: I I am trying to see if there is any relationship between hours I sleep (varies from 8 - 10), whether or not I ate a big dinner, whether EPR is on or off and finally if I'm using the Airsense 10 in CPAP or APAP mode. 

When you view your daily chart in SleepyHead, you can change from Details (the default) to Notes. You can enter comments there. E.g. what you ate the night before.

That will help you see any possible relationship.

But, if you're like me, it won't help much. My AHI and snoring varies day by day and I've been trying to figure out the rhyme or reason for it for the last three months. I still haven't stumbled into any insightful conclusions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2017, 05:26 PM)klmaish Wrote: I've been waking up at 5 AM and see my AHI around 5.  I go back to sleep until 7 AM and the airsense 10 reads 15 AHI.  To make my  reading go to 15, it seems I'd have to have 55 events an hour from 5-7.  Is there something odd about the way the numbers are calculated?  What would cause so many events at the end of a night's sleep?

Hi klmaish,
This is what we call SWJ (Sleep-Wake-Junk) - Clusters of apnea and hypopnea events occuring around periods of sleep-wake transition.  You really are not sleeping or awake...somewhere in between.

Some possible causes are that you may be laying on your back during that time period.  Also, you may be tucking your chin into your chest.  Some of us have found that using a "soft" cervical collar works well to keep this from happening.

Post a screenshot from #SleepyHead.  This way, we can take a look and see what is going on.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2017, 12:21 AM)SnoringInOregon Wrote:
(07-15-2017, 07:19 PM)klmaish Wrote: I I am trying to see if there is any relationship between hours I sleep (varies from 8 - 10), whether or not I ate a big dinner, whether EPR is on or off and finally if I'm using the Airsense 10 in CPAP or APAP mode. 

When you view your daily chart in SleepyHead, you can change from Details (the default) to Notes. You can enter  comments there. E.g. what you ate the night before.

That will help you see any possible relationship.

But, if you're like me, it won't help much. My AHI and snoring varies day by day and I've been trying to figure out the rhyme or reason for it for the last three months. I still haven't stumbled into any insightful conclusions.

I'm a believer in the old 'if in doubt, add another cm to minimum pressure'. see if that helps with the snores and variation a bit. start a thread and put up some sleepyhead charts, the forum should help you fine tune.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 347 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,397 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 265 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 268 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 767 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.