Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Exhalation trouble
Exhalation trouble
I am a new CPAP user about 60 days in.  I have the ResMed 10 Auto and I have confirmed a few things that I have been reading about such as EPR etc.  I am using the ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask and in short feel like I am fighting to breathe especially during exhale.  My wife essentially tells me that I went from snoring too much with the OSA to breathing extremely loud like I am out of breath.  Based on my reading, this can be due to pressures that the machine is using to maybe the wrong type of mask but frankly I am confused.  On one hand it seems like the exhalation through the P10 would be loud just based on surface area.  On the other hand, it is reported to be one of the quietest masks on the market.  I have had a rough 3 nights although my scores would not indicate that from MyAir.  Last night I basically woke at 3 AM to find my wife missing due to the noise of my breathing and then laying there with the mask on but unable to fall asleep again.  I don't believe I have enough posts to put up my data yet but happy to do so.  Thanks for any input.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Exhalation trouble
Welcome to the forum. You can attach a file, specifically a screenprint. what you cannot yet do is link to an external source. See the organize link.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry yes, although what I did not realize is that my machine did not come with an SD Card. I just put one in to be able to gather the data. Until I do I guess I am a little blind to what is happening. I called my clinic to get some advice but they have yet to call back and when I mentioned it before they just sort of said that it is pretty normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect that both your min pressure needs to be increased to resolve the out of breath condition and the EPR needs to be increased to help the exhale.
Try min = 8 and EPR = 3, full time. We can adjust after seeing your charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed with Gideon. You've already found that your Supplier offers pretty much no help. Par for the course as they say.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The P10 nasal pillow mask is one of the quietist out there, I clean my mask just before I go to sleep. I buy 100 alcohol swaps package and just wipe the inside vent inside and outside real well a couple of times and then wipe the nasal pillow down and snap it back in place. I have been cleaning my P10 this way for over 6 years and the pillows seem not to be affected. The vent side can get a little build up over time, some folks use their water pic cleaners also to clean them every once in a while, I place my p10 in a plastic grocery bag because there is a lot mist when doing this. You can also buy a adjustable head gear for your mask if you like one.( Resmed part # 64216)
Once you have the mask figured out you can concentrate on pressures like some of the experienced folks here will help you with. To low a starting pressure is not good if your EPR is on 3 with the Resmed A10 like mentioned because you are starving the pressure you might need to overcome  certain types of apnea's. On top of this page you will see "Cpap Setup manuals" that will show you how to get into clinical mode to adjust min pressures.
Oscar is one  of the best software's out there to help folks who want to know what is going on with their machine and other folks here can help tweak the machine possibly to work better for yourself. They helped me years ago and are still doing a fine job of helping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all so much for the responses, Canuck 2 that is awesome, I ordered that replacement strap for my P10 which is totally awesome. I will share my data so everyone can take a look.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glade you enjoyed the information, a few more things about the P10 head gear straps . The strap will stretch out over time and will leak a little more. What I did when I got my new p10 strap is measure the length or what I did was make some reference marks on the length on a yard stick or table top and when I have head strap issues is just take the strap off and boil some water and place strap in a tea cup with a fork to hold it down when pouring hot water in the cup. Take the fork and stir it a 6-7  times under the hot water. Have some cold water running and dump the hot water out of cup first with strap still in it  and now quench the strap in the cold water and just let the water over flow for 30 seconds or so. All I do then is squeeze the water out in one hand and let air dry. Usually they stretch about 2 inches before I clean and the strap will come almost back to original length, the new adjustable strap you can do the same procedure as mentioned. You can refresh the head gear at least 5-8> times before it is worn out.
I do not have insurance anymore so I make the best of the life of the head gear strap. Hope it helps you out and others who are interested in this sort of stretching your hard earned money a little further. I really like the the P10 mask and tried other masks prior. No mask is perfect so find one that is low maintenance and works 95%> of the time and that is as good as it gets with CPAP masks IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't forget you can use an Airfit N30 headgear with the Airfit P10 and have an adjustment buckle.
[Image: ResMed-AirFit-N30-Nasal-Mask-Headgear2_2...1588659862]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 6 60 20 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 44 1,870 03-12-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Trouble Breathing, take off mask and put back on, then no trouble? mogulman 0 234 02-13-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Trouble with multiple masks jlpool 5 699 11-28-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.