Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Experiences with Cheyne Stokes?
Can nasal congestion ruin a sleep study?
Can nasal congestion ruin a sleep study?

At the same night I was doing a sleep study, my nose started clogging and I had to take the equipment out of my nose to blow it a couple of times. 

When the result came back, my doctor told me I have combined type of sleep apnea with episodes of Cheyne Stokes breathing. 

Is there any chance anything went wrong due to my cold? I took the thing in my nose off but never the thing around my belly.

(I've went to surgery for my obstructive apnea and this was a follow up. Central apnea is new to me.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can nasal congestion ruin a sleep study?
I doubt the results were affected by you removing the mask a couple of times. During the sleep study they are monitoring you so they know when you are asleep. You had to be awake to take the mask off, so that time would not be counted in the total time asleep and therefore anything that happened during those times is not used to determine a sleep disorder.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can nasal congestion ruin a sleep study?
It would be vey difficult but not impossible to mimic a CSR wave-form as the result of nasal congestion. Since I don't have the data or charts to look at, my experience with CPAP flow rates is that flow limitation, which is an upper airway semi-obstructive condition can appear similar to central CSR or CSA, but Cheyne-Stokes in particular tends to stand out as a very regular waxing and waning of flow without flattened inspiratory flow curves influencing the volume. If the doctor is competent in interpreting this chart (rather than a machine interpretation), then I doubt it is in error. You may want to ask the doctor if this conclusion is based on his personal observation of the flow rate wave-form as opposed to a machine interpretation.

Thee are a lot of other factors considered in a sleep study to decide on a diagnosis and to suggest a course of treatment. Once it is available, you should obtain a complete copy of the study for your personal records. Treatment for complex apnea, central apnea and Cheyne-Stokes is generally Adaptive Servo Ventilation (ASV) for otherwise healthy individuals without heart failure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Experiences with Cheyne Stokes?
Tell me what happened efter you found out you had Cheyne Stokes respiration. 

Was it heart failure or something else that caused it? I'm still waiting to find out for myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Experiences with Cheyne Stokes?
I've merged your two threads regarding nasal congestion and CSR.

I can rename the thread title if you prefer.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 670 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 243 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 177 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 820 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 292 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 329 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Need advice - Clear Airway Apnea and Cheyne Stokes skiphudspeth 7 633 12-31-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.