Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Experiences with F & P Vitera FF Mask
RE: Experiences with F & P Vitera FF Mask
I switched masks (Air Touch F20) due to the headgear straps leaving marks on my cheeks.  So I have the F&P Vitera -- seems a little bulky with the plastic down over the nose area but the headgear is around my head, which is more comfortable.  I had a mask with the foam that I loved but this Vitera mask has very soft silicone -- very nice.  So to say all that, I'll keep the Vitera mask and not go back to the headgear that caused cheek issues.  

PLUS - when I received the new mask, there were all 3 sizes in the package!  The other mask, I wore a medium and the Vitera is a small -- I was concerned about it being too small, but it was fine but had the option to switch to a medium.  That was a great feature.  I've reordered my mask replacement and now order the size I need.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Like BreatheRight I use the F20 Airtouch but am also having problems with it on my cheeks and hair and the small size is nearly too big. I have the Resmed for Her mask. Is the Vitera mask adjustable or is this the one that used clips. I have an F & P Brevida but couldn't wear it because of the lack of adjustments for a small face and head.
Post Reply Post Reply
The F&P Vitera is adjusted with velcro. Two sets for the cushion and then a top of the head height adjuster. The plastic bar on the front isn't too bad as it tends to leverage the mask to minimize leaks. I've found you must wear it loose and low. The big leak area is going to be the nasal bridge unless you adjust it correct. I've got this one in medium in my stack of stuff.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another reply was made and they are correct.  The mask itself isn't adjustable (and that's all about the correct size -- good to try but evidently you need the small).  The straps of the headgear, at the side of the face are clipped to attach.  After putting it on, you can loosen or tighten straps in several places by the velcro.  My problem -- I think I have to wear it so tight to eliminate the air leaks, it's like glued to my face.  I keep trying to make it looser but just doesn't work well -- all faces are shaped differently and having options to adjust the straps in several places will help.  It's sometimes a losing battle -- I'll wake up in the night to hear tiny leaks.

And by bulky, I turn over throughout the night and will find myself having my hands over the mask and/or headgear to keep it in place (or reposition it).  

The plastic piece over the nose -- a little bulky but there are air holes (designed for this particular brand) -- so it's another learning curve.  You will hear the air coming from those holes and will think you have a mask leak.  Makes for a bit of noise but you will adjust.  

Having a good company person to help you with different masks, different machine settings has been vital for me.  The guy I use isn't 'pro-active' or gives suggestions -- but when I ask questions, he knows the answers.  Giving information to benefit me before I even ask would be a plus (because I don't always know what I need or options to try) but he's been a great help.   

One more suggestion -- maybe two or three I have found on this forum of Q&A:
I have an iron headboard and I place the hose of the machine behind me, over my head and fasten it to my headgear.  Didn't think that even sounded good but it does work -- takes the slack out of the hose and turning over through the night, it doesn't wrap around my neck or trying to keep it under the pillow.  The swivel on the headgear always moves with the hose.  There are stands you can get or other ways to hang the hose but I have the ideal set-up.

I'm a mouth breather -- I have an app for my phone and can detect the episodes throughout the night (don't know if I can give the name of the app but it's awesome -- free somewhat or pay for a year at less than $12).  Seeing the results of the light snoring all the way to EPIC (how embarrassing) -- with AUDIO no less; I then decided to try taping my mouth shut (I don't have problems with breathing through my nose -- that would be an individual thing) -- then used the phone app and the results were amazingly different.  Still can snore through my nose but less often and the EPIC episodes are nearly eliminated.  I just use a good tape (paper tape is too thin) -- may use some variants but it's a cheap product to get good results.

Another tip:  any masks I've had made the top of my nose red -- almost a Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer but without a glow!!  Being a female, I used a lot of concealer.  SO, I now put a band-aid over my nose every night (extra padding would be the best) and no more red!  I bought the gel pads but they wouldn't stay in place.   Anything you stick to your face, make sure you aren't allergic -- may have to try several products. but so far, I'm in a better place!

I do empty the water reservoir in 4 hours -- so when I get up during the night, I refill it.  I've tried reducing the humidity settings (I'm now at 4) but being able to feel the 'fresh air effect', I can't really lower it much (don't guess).  When I return to bed after a full water reservoir, it makes my breathing much easier!  So I guess that's one of the two things I haven't mastered because I would rather not get up during the night but it's for better breathing if I do. 

The other un-mastered thing is just not getting a full night's sleep.  YES, I do take a mild sedative which helps and prevents me from lying in bed, rolling and tossing until I fall asleep.  Then to awaken 2-3- or 4 hours later -- it's tiring!!  I just want to settle into bed, within 30 minutes go to sleep and wake up 6-7 hours later.  Hasn't happened yet and most likely never will.

Good luck to you and my main recommendation would be to find someone to help you get the correct MASK SIZE!  Makes a world of difference!!

Sorry for the lengthy response but I appreciate all the help I can get and this forum is the right place to come!!

Wishing you a pleasant experience ..... 
Bed
Post Reply Post Reply
likeThank you, BreatheRight for the great commentary.  Good info on this mask for others, particularly females with the need for smaller products.  I'm into my 6th year of PAP use (I'm 80 next week) with the only problem being the mouth leaks that developed at about 5.5 years and I had to give up my beloved Wisp mask.  I think I will try the Vitera at my next 6 month supply date--unfortunately got my F20 supply in early April so it will be awhile.  I can live with the face marks--long retired and not going anywhere.  I haven't had a mask fitting in a long time--my current DME didn't have the smaller mask in stock so I took home some parts and got the rest by mail.  Of course covid slowed things down with getting personal fits and our county is still on severe restrictions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay

Keep us posted if you do get the Vitera.  Hope you like it!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-10-2020, 03:02 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Wondering if F & P will give a CPAP mask if I buy one of their dishwashers...

Dishwashers are not recommended for side sleepers.
Post Reply Post Reply
NEW THREAD --- HELP!
Have searched the site numerous times -- cannot find where to start a new thread.  And I've made a few!!

QUESTION for you all .... anyone getting a RED nose -- the bridge of your nose after using a mask?  Doesn't matter which one, I have become Rudolph with the RED nose!  I may be tightening my mask too much but when I loosen it, I get air leaks.  This is annoying.

I've used gel pads - they don't stay in place
I've used band-aids - maybe not padded enough 

Only solution is lots of concealer!

THANKS and sorry I couldn't start a new thread with my topic!

Dont-know Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: NEW THREAD --- HELP!
Look here for help in starting a new thread:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...New-Thread

Here is the link to the "How Do I?" Thread: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-How-to-HOW-DO-I
This thread contains the subject above, plus many other things that a member may wish to perform on the Apnea Board.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a Pillows mask? They only touch the nares on your nose. The redness is either a too tight mask or maybe a reaction to the mask. Several factors go into a mask that works for you. Cushion and frame, headgear sizes, type as in pillows, nasal, full face, hybrid, and then different brands or models can be shaped different. Lots of variables mean increased difficulty in finding the right mask combo.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  F/P Vitera Mask seal problem bryank1 8 994 10-31-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Frankiboy
Gross F&P Vitera “pops” when on my back N6GQ 4 571 08-29-2023, 07:37 PM
Last Post: raylock1
  [Equipment] Any experiences with Ventmed VM8 or other Ventmed devices? Bhante 2 546 08-13-2023, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Bhante
  Velcro Issues - Fisher and Paykel Vitera cmpman1974 6 707 08-03-2023, 05:57 PM
Last Post: car54
  [Treatment] MBRP experiences? JonathanG 0 394 06-16-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: JonathanG
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.