Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F&P Mask Vent Holes
F&P Mask Vent Holes
My RT recently had me switch from a Resmed Airtouch F20 mask to an F&P Vitera mask.  The F&P mask has 36 small vent holes located near the top of the nose.  These holes put out a steady stream of air which is very irritating to my wife because it blows across on her when I am sleeping facing her.

1.  Can someone tell me why these holes are needed on the F&P mask but there are none on the Resmed Airtouch or Airfit masks that I have used?

2.  Does the volume of air blowing out these holes count as leakage on my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset?  If not, how does the machine tell the difference between this air and actual mask leakage?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F&P Mask Vent Holes
All CPAP mask vent/expel air. If they don't where will the air going in go?

Resmed shows leakage above around 25litre/min.

Masks have (used to) a graph of flow litre/min verses pressure. If this is the same as the Resmed mask, then you will see no difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
All masks have vent holes. Different masks have them in different places. The vent holes for the ResMed F20 mask are in the elbow.

The CPAP machine subtracts the expected leakage through the vents from the total leakage measured to determine the leakage being reported. Other machines report leakage in different ways. Some, including Philips, report both total leakage and "excess leakage." Excess leakage comes from mask and mouth leaks.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I came across same question before 2 days. I have started using AirFit F20. and Air is flowing from the holes. Earlier I was using P10 Nasal Pillow and Did not noticed any Air is flowing out. My wife is complaint same to me like your.
Even I am not feeling refreshed as compare to P10. I feel its a huge air leak that unnoticed in OSCAR.
with P10 I have problem of Nose pain when I wake up.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have just come across a good reason to not use that mask, marital bliss.

All masks have holes and vents and he volume of air is carefully engineered and is accounted for via mask settings. Main purpose is to prevent rebreathing of CO2
Post Reply Post Reply
Ketanerp,

I found that the air on the Airfit F20 is coming from the side vent holes on the elbow that  connects the mask to the tubing.  This is normal, and the Airsense 10 is calibrated to deduct this airflow from the reported leakage.  Therefore it is not included in leakage in OSCAR either.  These holes direct the air sideways out of the elbow which has not been a problem for me.

My problem was with the air escaping through the vent holes on the F&P Vitera mask.  These holes direct the air straight ahead out of the mask, and this was what hit my wife in the face.  I have stopped using the F&P mask for now, and went back to the AirFit F20.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gideon,

It is a good reason indeed!  At least the AirFit/AirTouch F20 vent holes are at right angles so the air doesn't hit someone in the face!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 463 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,765 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,412 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 698 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 402 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop
  COVER YOUR HOLES!!! David Clark 2 736 05-24-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: David Clark

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.