Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

F20 (& F30) Elbow - Quiet vs not?
F20 (& F30) Elbow - Quiet vs not?
I'm curious if my DME is hosing me (hahaha, funny pun not intended), or if things have changed in the last 6-12 months since I switched to the AirFit F20.

I just recently ordered the F20 from my DME.  When it arrived, I looked it over and noticed the diffuser ring is what I believe is the older version, before they added the cloudy plastic ring over it to make it quieter.  I asked my DME what was up, and told them I'd like for them to send me the quiet elbow as I cannot sleep with the noise from the not-quiet elbow.

My DME said there's no difference in the elbows.

What do you guys know?  

When I originally bought the F20 (out of pocket on Amazon, about 6-12 months ago), it came with the not-quiet elbow.  I couldn't sleep due to how noisy it was.  When the F30 came out, I got that from my DME, and it came with the quiet elbow, which I moved to my OOP F20, and it was wonderfully quiet.

So is my DME trying to lie to me?  Is it giving me outdated stuff?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: F20 (& F30) Elbow - Quiet vs not?
I have both the AirFit F20 & F30 FFM. Both came with the quiet elbow. Not sure if your DME is purposely lying to you or if they're just moving some old(er) stock. 

I do know myself, when it comes time to re-order supplies, I get very specific as to what I want.
Post Reply Post Reply
My most recent F20 kit came with the QuietAir elbow. That’s the new style with the diffuser ring. And that’s the one to get if noise is troublesome.

A DME that lies!?! Do not believe them. Yes there is a difference in sound and in exhaust air pattern.

See my review of the elbow called QuietAir: CLICK HERE
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay. Good info, guys. Thank you.

I had hoped by now the old inventory would have been depleted.

Perhaps because I ordered a For Her (for a hopefully smaller headgear), my DME's stock is still plentiful with the old elbows?

Yeah, I figured they were B.S.ing me. I just wanted to double check here before I went full-blown advocate on them.

Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2019, 06:23 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I do know myself, when it comes time to re-order supplies, I get very specific as to what I want.

I've taken to this habit as well.  I always insist on the name-brand filters, and then they're shocked when I notice if they don't send the correct ones.

I guess I'll have to add "quiet elbow" if I order the F20 again.
Post Reply Post Reply
The F20 and F30 quiet elbow should be interchangeable, so use the quiet elbow from your F30 with your F20 frame
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to add the box that the f20 comes in should have on the box the logo that says quiet air.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2019, 08:11 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 06:23 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I do know myself, when it comes time to re-order supplies, I get very specific as to what I want.

I've taken to this habit as well.  I always insist on the name-brand filters, and then they're shocked when I notice if they don't send the correct ones.

I guess I'll have to add "quiet elbow" if I order the F20 again.

Yes, this is what I do exactly when I re-order from my DME. This is the 1st time in my life I've had to deal with a DME supplier. 

Don't get me wrong, my DME supplier has been great. They let me know in advance when I'm authorized to re-order supplies. They tell me the overall cost and what my portion of that cost will be. I can either communicate with them via phone or by e-mail. 

I've told them from the start, that I want to decide what will be sent to me. They have no problem with this at all. Last thing I want to receive, is a mystery box.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DME and I had a conversation about it. They insisted there "should be no difference" between the two elbows. I cornered them on that (hello, why would a newer one be called "quiet"?), and they were suddenly willing to send me a quiet elbow.

I then asked if it's just old inventory or what? They didn't really want to answer that, but essentially said it's old inventory. Dang. They need some more small headed people ordering this mask, to get the inventory moving! Plus wow, how old is that memory foam then, if the mask has been sitting on the shelf for over a year?!

I tried the mask with the original elbow, and then with the quiet elbow. MAJOR difference in both noise and air blowing all over.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi H could you please post a pic of the noisy joint and the quiet joint. I think I had the noisy unloaded on me...thank you, always love your plain spoken posts, girl you leave no questions!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a quiet travel CPAP? mcman56 1 107 04-15-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Cleaning F20/F30 QuietAir Elbow 70sSanO 13 5,834 04-12-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Magoo905
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 33 13,054 04-01-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeytime
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 413 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Need help with F20 Airfit leaks (elbow?) jaytee80 4 1,385 09-22-2023, 02:42 AM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Question Popping noise from Resmed elbow Proth 1 736 09-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Is there a quiet portable CPAP machine? mcman56 0 487 07-18-2023, 10:02 PM
Last Post: mcman56

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.