Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feature request for Mac [OSCAR installation]
Feature request for Mac [OSCAR installation]
Hello OSCAR developers!  Thanks for all your hard work!!!

Currently when Mac users download OSCAR they get the *.dmg file.  When that is opened/mounted they get the usual finder window showing the OSCAR.app and nothing else.
Some users intuitively know to drag a *.app to their /Applications folder.  But others may not.  Many former Windows users are accustomed to double clicking a *.exe file they just downloaded and the program is installed.   
And, yes, there are install instructions on a wiki page.  But they are not included in the *.dmg file.

My suggestion is to, at least, include a "README" file in the *.dmg which gives basic install instructions and points to the Mac install instructions in the wiki. 

Ideally, a simple bash script that would copy OSCAR.app to the /Applications folder would be great!  But maybe asking for too much Smile

Again, Thanks for making such a great program!!!
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feature request for Mac
I just happened to notice it wasn’t in my applications folder so I dragged it over. If I didn’t I probably would’ve ran into the same problem as Plmnb. I don’t have but 2 or 3 applications outside of the Mac store so I would’ve been banging my head also
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a quick note to any Mac users wondering....
Here are the install instructions from the wiki:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Apple_Mac
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for pointing that out, Jeff. I'm sure we can do something along those lines.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feature request for Mac [OSCAR installation]
We can work on this for next release. Adding a README is probably the likeliest approach in the very short term.

In the longer term I could imagine what I've seen some applications do, where they say "You're not running this program from your Applications folder. Would you like to install it there now?" But that's not trivial to code and to get right, so I don't think it'll make the next major release.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you don't mind my ramblings.....

My imagination for a long term solution went as follows:
User downloads the current *.dmg and double clicks it.
Finder window opens with "Install-OSCAR" file visible
User double clicks "Install-OSCAR" and the typical window opens saying "This will install OSCAR in your /Applications folder" with the obligatory "OK - Cancel" buttons. You know the rest....

Admittedly, I am not a programmer. I know just enough to get myself into trouble (and sometimes out of it). But I've been around long enough to know it's never that easy! Wink
Jeff8356

How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Just a heads up if everyone isn’t aware. When I updated my Mac to the current OS (don’t know the version number of the top of my head) it disappeared from my desktop and I had to click the dmg file in my applications folder. Then everything was back to normal.

It didn’t install again it just reappeared
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2019, 07:24 AM)Osiris357 Wrote: Just a heads up if everyone isn’t aware. When I updated my Mac to the current OS (don’t know the version number of the top of my head) it disappeared from my desktop and I had to click the dmg file in my applications folder. Then everything was back to normal.

It didn’t install again it just reappeared

I'm a bit confused!  You have the dmg file in your /Applications folder????  It should be the OSCAR.app that is located in /Applications.
The dmg is what you downloaded.  When you double click the dmg your Mac mounts it like a removable drive (similar to your xPAP SD card).  Then you would drag the contents of the dmg file (in this case OSCAR.app) to your /Applications folder.  (This example is OSCAR specific and may not apply to other programs).
If you are running it from inside the dmg then every time you logout/shutdown/restart it will dismount the dmg.  In essence, making it look like it disappeared.  All your data will still be stored in /Documents/OSCAR_Data though

So if you drag the OSCAR.app (located inside the dmg file) to your /Applications folder you should solve the problem of the disappearing icon.
Jeff8356

How to Links:
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I’m as confused as you are. I don’t remember where I found Oscar in my folders but I just dragged it from there to the applications folder. Nothing else. The dmg is sitting right next to Oscar. 

My downloads go into the download folder. I clicked on that to install Oscar. Went through the usual and out of curiosity I did the 3 finger gesture to show all the apps on screen to see if the icon was there. It was not. So I went looking and couldn’t find it so I opened the folder with all the apps and dragged the icon from the desktop into it. And it’s been fine this whole time and I’m not sure if I rebooted it before I updated the OS. 

So when I went to use Oscar yesterday morning after it installed the update overnight the icon was gone. So I went into the applications folder and clicked Oscar and everything was gone with it saying this application does not exist. So for the heck of it I clicked the dmg file which was sitting right next to Oscar and bang Oscar is up and running with my daily from the day before on screen with everything else there also. So I minimized it to check the desktop and the icon is back. So I closed Oscar and clicked the icon to make sure everything worked and it does like nothing happened. Weird right?
Post Reply Post Reply
If I was home I’d take a screenshot of the dmg next to Oscar
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Help with Oscar Installation FrankIII 5 355 02-25-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR "scrubber bar" feature? jdavis 2 281 02-22-2024, 09:42 PM
Last Post: jdavis
  Request Copy of Resmed Airsense 10 SDCard core files gedm 6 527 12-14-2023, 07:04 PM
Last Post: gedm
Question Oscar installation problem [solved, see post #4] Bertrand 3 786 09-19-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: Bertrand
  [Feature Request] EPR mode in overview pressure graph tossinandturnin 8 892 07-24-2023, 06:24 AM
Last Post: tossinandturnin
  Feature Request - OSCAR Linux rammjet 3 655 07-09-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: rammjet
  [Feature Request] Flow Rate graph to Audio File? omonoiatis9 1 570 05-05-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: DavidEsp

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.