Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feeling Lost - Not sure what settings to set
RE: Feeling Lost - Not sure what settings to set
I think your sleep study data is useful, as it shows obstructive apnea and hypopnea being present and without central apnea. This is a positive thing as you won't need the much more expensive devices like mine.

You have some choices to make which are entirely your own. A lab sleep study? Unless you have insurance to pay for the test and/or you need insurance to pay for a machine, it's probably not required. Changing machines? I don't think you must change it, I think it's partially dependent upon what you've got providing successful and comfortable treatment. Yes in some ways if you had a ResMed AutoSet it would be nice, but it's not yet proven to be required. If you can't get treated with that current unit, then maybe consider ResMed.

Masks? I recently got a ResMed nasal type called N30i. It's light in weight and the cushion only rests against the end of your nose. There's lots of choices and I think that whether or not you've got the right mask will either make or break your success.

Keep posting questions, etc. We'll do our best to help you succeed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone has been so supportive.  I was able to move my Pulmonologist appointment up to tomorrow.  I'm going to try to push for a new machine and NOT a new sleep study.  I'll let you know how that goes. 

I did contact the person selling the Resmed S10 on craigslist.  he hasn't responded yet.  Thank you so much Sleeprider for that info. 

I called the insurance today and they said even if I get a new machine via a new sleep study, I would have to rent it for 10 months.  I called the DME and they said often renting a machine costs 2-3 times as much as paying up front out of pocket.  Crazy!

I'll update the post after my appointment tomorrow and let you all know how it goes. 

In the mean time, I'm going to update my settings tonight to allow a max pressure of 12.  It's set to a min of 7 and max of 9.  Someone told me that was low and the feeling i have is that I'm not getting enough air.   I also have the Reslex option set to 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Misdaph,
WELCOME! to the forum!.
Good luck with CPAP therapy and getting your settings dialed in so you can get restful sleep.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The DME rental for more than cash is more or less typical. Good thing they're ssooo helpful. Hoping you're successful in navigating your xPAP beginnings.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-16-2019, 08:37 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Misdaph, there is a Resmed S10 CPAP machine in the Orlando Craigslist for $300.  The pictures show this is an Autoset, and this would be the best machine for your needs.  The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset has a very responsive auto pressure and uses exhale pressure relief (EPR) which works like a bilevel. 

Ding!   Yes this.  High probability to be a fast path to a fix.

And yes, ask your Pulmonologist to help with prescription so you can get some help from the DME.  

WillSleep

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2019, 12:25 PM)WillSleep Wrote: And yes, ask your Pulmonologist to help with prescription so you can get some help from the DME.

I bought my machine used, but use my prescription (so far) and DME for the supplies (masks, etc.).
Post Reply Post Reply
Here’s a question for the more experienced members of the forum. Her original at home sleep study data show an AHI of 6.5 and her treated AHI is about 4ish. Is an AHI of 6.5 even worth treating? I know we’d all like to be below 5 but given the costs and problems she’s having, I have my doubts that a 6.5 to 4 reduction is worth doing. I understand there’s a snoring issue but snoring alone isn’t sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi friends.  I had my appointment yesterday.  He wants to order a new sleep test.  We are going to be able to at least do it in home.  I also was able to get a Resmed S10 for Her.  CPAPSHOP has them onsale right now for 650 with a new patient code and I have 30 days to return it.

He basically said the same thing.  He's not sure if I even need it, however, my husband is complaining of the snoring.  He said a dental device might be a good solution, but cautioned that a dental device does change your jaw structure over time and can cause an underbite.

I wake up at the same point every night.  Its when the pressure hits 9.5 or higher.  That makes me think the pressure is too high, but i'm unsure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Misdaph, I have no problem with your scheduling a sleep test, but I don't think it will answer your questions as well as we can if you will only record some data on your new Resmed Autoset for her and post it to the forum. Snoring has been a prominent feature of your sleep, and I suspect the root cause is the upper airway resistance that your new machine can help treat using appropriate settings and the EPR feature. Give us a week, and we will end the snoring. Most sleep tests can measure snoring but very few actually provide insight into the cause. We can do that with the OSCAR data.

When you get the new machine, set it up with Autoset For Her mode, minimum pressure 8.0, maximum pressure 15.0 and EPR full-time at 3. Record the data and post charts as described in my signature links.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2019, 08:39 AM)misdaph Wrote: I wake up at the same point every night.  Its when the pressure hits 9.5 or higher.  That makes me think the pressure is too high, but i'm unsure.

It took me the better part of three months to (mostly) sleep through the night, regardless of pressure. So keep in mind sometimes it just takes time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 274 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 259 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 326 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 308 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Treatment] 40+ AHI WITH cpap, feeling hopeless Bobblan 10 547 01-24-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.