Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feeling like I cannot breathe
Feeling like I cannot breathe
I woke up nightly, unable to breathe on the F&P Evera FFM, but my AHI and leak rates were great. However, I got only 4.5 hours of fragmented sleep in bed for 7 hours. So, I switched to the ResMed AirTouch™ N20 Memory Foam Nasal mask. I decided to see how my leak rate would be if I did not tape my mouth. I slept much better (6.5 hours) and did not wake up because the air was pooping out of my mouth or feeling like I could not breathe (both problems began with my CPCP journey in early April). But my leak rate is up, and my chart looks crazy! Do I need to tape my mouth to help with the leaks, or is it just a result of an NM? As always, thanks for your help and advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Feeling like I cannot breathe
If you want to use the nasal mask, you will have to consider taping again.  Your leak rate is too high.  

You're also experiencing some Positional Apnea.  It's evident by the clumps of apnea between 3:45 and 6:30.  

https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea

Ask yourself how do you sleep.  If on your back, you may want to consider side sleeping,
and/or use a soft cervical collar.  This helps to keep you from "chin tucking".

Also, use only one thinner, but supportive pillow.  

Next time you post, please include all of the left side bar. And always include the flow limitation graph.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am most often a side sleeper and usually sleep with a soft collar, but it has been too hot. I sleep with elevated pillows because of a sliding hiatial hernia.
Post Reply Post Reply
I taped my mouth, wore a neck collar, and lowered my pillows. But I had very fragmented sleep and slept only 4 hours out of seven in bed. Kept walking up with air circulating in my mouth. I am going back to the F&P Evora FFM because I have minimal leaking with that mask. I will tape my nose to see if helps. I continue to have most CA while awake in bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2023, 11:02 AM)vgrando Wrote: I will tape my nose to see if helps.

I would not recommend this!
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, why is not good?
Post Reply Post Reply
Explain exactly what you mean by taping nose.....

Are you talking about breathe right strips?
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. I have small nostrils and allergies to dust. So I am stuffy at night and often can breathe only with one nostril.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used breathe right strips before Cpap therapy and even for a little while once I started on Cpap. They do the job for which intended.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, I had to post again Victoria.  "Yes. I have small nostrils and allergies to dust. So I am stuffy at night and often can breathe only with one nostril."  Ditto for me on all 3(a fellow hypoventilator).  I am seeing the ENT again to see if any of the meds he has given me (or he may do an outpatient procedure eventually) help my sleep apnea and hypoventilation.  I will try post later to see if any/all of these things worked for me.  If so, you may wish to see an ENT in the future.  100% your decision.  
Supplier #1 (in the suppliers list) gives a free, 30 trial of masks.  If you are still having mask problems, you could order one or more at a very low risk.  Experimenting with the humidity may help some, too, I have found.  
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cant breathe as soon as I start to doze off and wake up gasping for air a bit nicchamilton 9 178 Yesterday, 03:50 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] I'm new to all of this, and feeling a little overwhelmed. Facing 2 issues right now. VanillaSkyCrawler 6 152 04-26-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: VanillaSkyCrawler
  Not feeling rested with BIPAP. Is it even making a difference? ppluissz 3 262 04-24-2024, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 500 04-19-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 184 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 331 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 420 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.