Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How often do you clean your CPAP?
How often do you clean your CPAP?
I've been super bad about this and haven't cleaned mine in 2 months. Just wondering how much that might be affecting the quality of my sleep.

When you do clean it, what's your approach?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How often do you clean your CPAP?
I clean my cushion daily with mild detergent (Dawn) primarily to remove skin oils. I rarely wash the mask body. I haven't cleaned my tube in about a year but never have rainout. If you have rainout you should probably clean it. I dump the water out of my humidifier and refill it. I change the filter every month to 6 weeks. The machine itself gets wiped for dust occasionally. You will get a lot of differing recommendations. I have had no problems.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for letting me know. This is encouraging.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2021, 12:01 PM)tstiefler3 Wrote: I've been super bad about this and haven't cleaned mine in 2 months. Just wondering how much that might be affecting the quality of my sleep.

When you do clean it, what's your approach?

Not as often as I should.
I look for pink slime and if it builds up on the humidifier I clean it with soap for dishes.
In fact I use the same soap to clean everything.
I use Nasal Pillows and they can get grubby in a nights use, so I use a baby wipe.
Some say to use baby wipes without alcohol in them, but I have had no trouble, but then where I am there is very little alcohol in our wipes anywaay.
If you can get the alcohol free one I would use then just to wipe around the mask.

I do know of someone that only cleans his mask when it starts to smell.
Funny thing, he is as healthy as a Ox, except for Sleep Apnea.

Last time I cleaned everything I put it in a mild bleach and let everything soak.
Gave it a good rinse in cold fresh water, still had a hint of bleach when first put on, but it soon vanished.
I also had to use Mold remover as black Mold had appeared, hence the bleach to get rid of it and whet was left of the Mold.
It was just in the humidifier, but I didn't want to risk Mold getting anywhere!

I was told the pink slime is harmless, but I don't like anything living in the humidifier.

Dish soap is usually enough, some use white vinegar, but I found everything smells of vinegar no mater how often I rinse it.
A good one to clean everything is baby bottle cleaner, though like bleach it will remove color from any material it touches!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I practically don't clean. I clean or change the cushion when I sense a change in performance, I routinely dump the water in my humidifier and wipe the container and will clean for any visible residue. I never clean a tube and rarely clean the mask frame. I get enough new supplies, I rarely feel the need to clean vs replace. Truth hurts, but my equipment looks and feels fresh enough or I would do something about it. I have survived this terrible regime without illness or ill-effect for a long time. I don't share my equipment and I don't really want to. Neither do you. If I'm washing the sheets and pillowcases, there is a good chance I'll throw the whole mask and headgear in with it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Clorox wet wipes on my mask, cushion, and air hose flex joint. I do this about every 3-4 nights or so. They do a good job and do not leave any lingering odors or scents behind. 

About every other week or so, all of the above, including the air hose, gets a good cleaning in hot water and Dawn dish soap. I let them soak for a good 20 min. or so, then I swish the heck out of all of them in the water. My headgear even gets this treatment. The straps come out looking as good as new, and the hot water tightens the straps back up. 

My water reservoir gets emptied each 7 every morning, and then wiped dry with a paper towel, and then allowed to air dry for a few hours. "If" there is any mineral build-up in the reservoir, some white vinegar quickly takes care of it. I use regular tap water in the reservoir. No need for distilled water.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for this thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to clean the cushion, heated hose, and humidifier tub weekly. I'd soak them in hot water and Dawn dish detergent. Then rinse with clear water. I was at one time in a routine to set the items to soak while I had my morning coffee. But I've been off therapy for 1.5 years did to ASV therapy being no longer the right direction, so I couldn't use ASV so I have not washed anything in that time. However I still drink morning coffee. I'm just starting therapy again tonight with an AutoSet, maybe the therapy works and I'll have parts to wash.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 451 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Suggestions on how to clean a Resmed S10 motor? texquad 5 917 09-01-2023, 02:24 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Advice on how to clean F20 Airtouch? raptosnorus 4 726 06-30-2023, 08:23 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  Self confessed CPAP hater trying CPAP again. How do you clean your CPAP? dorlow 10 1,038 03-07-2023, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? WWu777 24 3,737 03-06-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: nelamvr6
  [Equipment] How do I get ResMed headgear off of F&P Simplus mask to clean? LordHelmet 3 620 12-24-2022, 05:55 PM
Last Post: LordHelmet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.