Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Dry Mouth, running out of humidifier water
RE: Dry Mouth, running out of humidifier water
I use a room humidifier, which I believe helps me.

Glad that I may have helped someone with the problem of running out of humidifier water.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've just ordered a humidifier for my bedroom, in hope of not running out of water in my CPAP.  I appreciate the recommendation!

Do you keep the humidifier right next to your CPAP?  

I've also been running an air purifier, because my house is so dusty it's been clogging my CPAP's air filters.  So this is really becoming a party in my bedroom: CPAP, air purifier, and now humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
sailon1 - My first guess was to raise the humidity, but it seems you've tried that.  Have you tried adjusting the temperature?  Making it warmer can help my mouth not feel so dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is something I heard about the AirSense 11, not sure if you can take it to the bank but it seems correct from my use so far.

If the humidifier is on Auto, it's goal is to keep rain-out out of the tube, not to maintain a particular humidity. So if you sleep with the window open, or otherwise sleep in a much cooler room, it will dry your mouth out as it tries to keep condensation out of a cool tube.

There are two proposed solutions, I've tried the first and need to try the second.
1) Don't cool your room as much (don't open the window on cold nights).
2) I have heard that if you set the temperature on the machine lower, and then fix the humidity instead of using Auto, it will last all night without being dry.

As I say, I haven't tried (2) yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a link of what I did to solve the problem.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...humidifier

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree - tank is too small and runs out of water!  Also hose that comes with the new unit is made very thin.  Replacement is better.  Resmed needs to step up and make a bigger tank!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I run a room humidifier on high every night, a foot or so away from my pap machine. It does help.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same problem. Forcing my mouth shut isn't an option. I think I've come up with a way to expand the tank. I'll report back if it works.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a hygrometer for your bedroom. They're only a $5-10 for an analog one. Stick it somewhere in the vicinity of the head of the bed. Then you can actually see what the humidity in your bedroom is instead of going by feel. If it's bone dry, you're going to use a lot more water (and a lot more energy to heat it the bedroom to a comfortable level).

Get a decent portable humidifier, and check the hygrometer after that's run for a couple hours. Adjust the settings on the humidifier bit by bit until the hygrometer reads between 30 and 50% humidity. If you get condensation on your windows, it's too high (or too close to the window). The higher the humidity in your room, the less humidity your machine needs to add.

Getting a whole house humidifier that attaches to your furnace ducts and doesn't require continually dumping water into a tank is a tremendous convenience and worth looking into for anyone who lives in a cold climate.

If none of the other advice here helps.... It's utterly revolting, but this gel helps with dry mouth. My dentist told me to use it. I rarely do, but it does help a great deal when I do. Just not enough for me to get over the weird feeling of the inside of my mouth being coated with gel

https://www.biotene.com/dry-mouth-produc...izing-gel/
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 110 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 111 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 107 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,086 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 370 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 813 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 264 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.