Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fighting with Insurance Company
Fighting with Insurance Company
I am covered under two Excellus Family Plans.

They paid all my Doctors but refuse to cover CPAP and supplies.

Because of a faulty machine, waiting for appointments and a 2nd sleep study - my 1st 90 days of use was under 4 hours a day.

My 2nd 90 days is use EVERY night with a median of 8 hours a night.

Insurance will only look at the data form 1st 90 days which does not meet the usage requirements - so they deny coverage on CPAP as well as supplies.

I appealed and lost and now in NYS I can appeal again to an outside agency (in process of doing that)

If all fails I will just pay out of pocket - what choice do I have.

Tons of documentation from the sleep clinic, but all they will look at is data from 1st 90 days of use.  Equip provider will not acknowledge the 1st CPAP was defective and maybe it was not.  CPAP #1 and CPAP #2 both Airsense 10 with different firmware. CPAP#1 caused an increase in Apeneas , but CPAP#2 works.

According to CPAP provider the in company decision is valid for 7 months and they will not look at any other data until 7 months have past. By then I will own the CPAP.

Ins companies have it all figured out Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fighting with Insurance Company
Good luck with your appeal. I think ensuring you have a CPAP machine that you are using is a lot higher priority than the policy and procedures of your insurance company, but it seems they write their own rules. The only alternative in paying out of pocket is to get the best price possible. Supplier #2 is offering your machine at $749 new, and you can find new and used deals on Craigslist for less.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear about your trouble with your insurance company. They do have charging the max and paying the least down to a science.

Have you gone through their appeals process? I’ve had to do that twice over the years with employee plans. I ended up filing an appeal with the company administrators of the plans. In both cases the administrators intervened on my behalf and the insurance company’s decision was reversed. The appeal needs to be in writing. It needs to contain all pertinent information including any extenuating circumstance and any harm that will be caused by the denial.

Good luck.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Moving this thread from Off-Topic to the Main Forum since it's CPAP-related.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2018, 11:25 AM)MitchS Wrote: Sorry to hear about your trouble with your insurance company. They do have charging the max and paying the least down to a science.

Have you gone through their appeals process? I’ve had to do that twice over the years with employee plans. I ended up filing an appeal with the company administrators of the plans. In both cases the administrators intervened on my behalf and the insurance company’s decision was reversed. The appeal needs to be in writing. It needs to contain all pertinent information including any extenuating circumstance and any harm that will be caused by the denial.

Good luck.

Appealed but denied
Going to do a 2nd appeal with outside agency (NYS)
Post Reply Post Reply
We may be able to help you "frame" your appeal.  We would need to see a full copy, not just the summary, of any and all Sleep studies that you have had..  Seeing your Sleepyhead charts would also be a big help.  See my signature for the how to do it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,517 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Chaos58503 Therapy Thread Fighting Positional OA chaos58503 17 1,334 01-16-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: chaos58503
  Anyone Ever Had Insurance Cover Nightly Oximeter cmpman1974 35 2,861 12-12-2023, 04:11 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 431 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,575 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.