Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Filling the PR System One Humidifier; a Homer Simpson Moment
Filling the PR System One Humidifier; a Homer Simpson Moment

[parts of this thread were copied from our old forum]

iSnooze wrote:
For weeks I've been filling it every night through the hole of the top and every one of those nights I ended up with water sloshing out the back hole. It didn't matter if I poured the water in slowly, quickly, direct from the bottle, from a measuring cup or with a funnel. It happened even if I only filled it the 50% line. There was something in the action of the water going around that fixed tube, hitting the side walls and splashing up so that it would hit the mouth of the tube and come out the back end.

I'm no engineer but I realized this design was flawed. I also knew that others probably found a solution that I didn't see. Then it hit me. Duh! If I take the top part off like I do for cleaning, I can pour the water to the side of that tube and hopefully avoid the splish, splash, I'm taking a bath action I've been getting up to now.

I can't believe I didn't see this earlier. I'm posting this in case anyone else has this same issue.

zonk wrote:
This instruction video from Respironics shows how to fill the water tank.
http://respironicsremstars.respironics.com/video3.aspx

greatunclebill wrote:
i had the same problem in the beginning when filling it from the gallon jug. now i pour the water into a little plastic disposable bathroom cup and then in the reservoir without problems. be sure to pour around rather than on the tube.
please don't tell me about any kind of nasal mask. nasal doesn't work for me, i've tried it all. i'm a full face hose head.

iSnooze wrote:
I have tried pouring the water first into a small measuring cup and I still get that back splash. When I filled it last night, I looked at the booklet that came with it and it has pictures showing that you should fill it through the hole.

I'll try filling it again from the top and will pay special attention to make sure the water doesn't hit the tube. I was wondering if I took it apart every night if the seal on the humidifier would wear out sooner.

If this is the only problem I have with my cpap machine I can live with it.

greatunclebill wrote:
water can hit the tube too. it's more about where or how it hits it. when i was just pouring in the hole, not paying attention to it, it spilled. since i started paying attention and trying not to hit the tube, none has spilled.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Filling the PR System One Humidifier; a Homer Simpson Moment
I've studied this thing a bit and decided it is best to take the top off and fill it as suggested. the top goes off and on very easily.

the reason it looks like it's not full but overflows when you add water is somehow, sometimes an air lock is created between the middle of the chamber and the outer sections where you see the fill lines. it looks half full, you add water, the center is full and it runs out the tube that stops in the center. i think when filling, water running down the tube getting in the seam between inner and outer parts creates the air lock or seal so the center fills more than the outer part. when it looks half full and it runs out, take the top off and watch it equalize so water goes up to the fill line or closer to it.

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Great Uncle Bill!

I must have the magic touch - or in this case that magic pour - that hits the air lock nearly every time. I started using a different measuring cup that gives me better control where I pour the water. I've been careful about pouring it to the side of the tube. However, it takes forever. When I'm in a hurry or very tired, I just take the top off and fill it that way. I hope the seal on the chamber lasts a long time. I was worried that it would wear out sooner if I kept opening and closing that lid every night and whenever I napped.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2012, 07:03 PM)iSnooze Wrote: Thanks Great Uncle Bill!

I must have the magic touch - or in this case that magic pour - that hits the air lock nearly every time. I started using a different measuring cup that gives me better control where I pour the water. I've been careful about pouring it to the side of the tube. However, it takes forever. When I'm in a hurry or very tired, I just take the top off and fill it that way. I hope the seal on the chamber lasts a long time. I was worried that it would wear out sooner if I kept opening and closing that lid every night and whenever I napped.

i thought about posting this when i figured it out. i searched and searched and couldn't find the post. today i had one of your homer simpson moments when i realized it was probably in the old forum. LOL.....

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally I like the Einstein moments better but my life is filled with lots of Homer Simpson moments. Doh?!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,619 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,214 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 380 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 299 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.