Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally got used to cpap, pressure questions
Finally got used to cpap, pressure questions
so I'm able to use my cpap regularly now, I fall asleep with it on. I still have the air swallowing problem but it's not a big deal anymore.

I feel better than I used to, but I'm still fairly tired day to day.

I used this website to calculate my pressure settings, suggested it at 6, but I've seem to have gotten better results with 8. Should I try putting it up to 9 or is that too much pressure? I'm not that heavy of a guy: 165

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Finally got used to cpap, pressure questions
Sounds like you are still guessing at your therapy, as in your previous post. After 12 years since your last study, and not using it for that period of time, you need to update study, and equipment, for all the reasons previously stated by those more knowledgeable than myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
All you have to go on is how you feel. So if you feel better at 8 than 6, then that seems to me to be a fine place to rest for awhile. But we can't really offer much help as to how your therapy is going for you. You'll need to provide much more data before we can offer much advise. I can say that the pressure required isn't necessarily related to your weight.
Post Reply Post Reply
What machine do you have? If you don't know, take the water tank out, and look for something like "ref 460" on the label on the bottom of the blower unit.

Do you have SleepyHead or other software? What's your AHI and other numbers doing?
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2014, 09:02 PM)linsomniac Wrote: I used this website to calculate my pressure settings, suggested it at 6, but I've seem to have gotten better results with 8. Should I try putting it up to 9 or is that too much pressure? I'm not that heavy of a guy: 165

Hi linsomniac,

I suggest it will be important to use SleepyHead to view your data. Do you have access to a computer you can install SH into?

SH will give you lots of information, so you can make informed choices when adjusting the pressure.

I think it often takes months of CPAP therapy to feel rested. Often there is a lot of gradual healing which needs to be done.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
well if it isn't related to weight, then maybe i'll kick it up to 9. I'm still far too tired to be able to make appointments. Mostly I lay in bed all day.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2014, 01:49 PM)linsomniac Wrote: well if it isn't related to weight, then maybe i'll kick it up to 9. I'm still far too tired to be able to make appointments. Mostly I lay in bed all day.

Hi there, welcome to the board.

Might I ask why you're guessing instead of just downloading the software from the link at the top of the page and then looking at the data and or showing it to us so we can offer you proper help? Not to be rude, but why shoot fish in a barrel with a blindfold on when you can take off the blindfold clear the water and see clearly?
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Think there is info we are not getting. Why after so long not using machine are you now using it? How could you be so tired you can't get out of bed, and make appointments? Sounds like more going on than sleep apnea. You need to see a doctor, now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,034 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 237 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 278 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 448 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.