Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Finally the TRUTH from my doctor
RE: Finally the TRUTH from my doctor
(01-03-2020, 12:37 PM)Osiris357 Wrote: Just got back from my appointment with the doc. As soon as she realized I knew what i was talking about, the conversation went as smooth as butter.  In the end she will gladly write me a script for a Vauto when I have the cash because the “AutoSet should go up to EPR 5 to handle flow limitations more effectively if needed without having to spend almost $1000 to get more pressure support”. She agreed that since my body adjusted quickly to the ventilation that was causing co2 based centrals  and the remaining centrals are post arousal I shouldn’t have any major issues with centrals while gradually increasing PS. 

It’s going to be awhile before I’m able to get the Vauto but at least I know I’m not going to have a hard time getting the script.

Some may be asking why do I want a Vauto if the AutoSet works good enough. The answer is “Good enough” isn’t acceptable to me when it comes to my heart health. The way I see it is if it wasn’t for insurance requiring at least an AHI of 5 to even considering paying for a more capable machine, I would already have it. The doctor who originally prescribed the AutoSet reminded me of what he said when I went in for my sleep study review. He said “you’re probably going to need a more capable machine but we have to wait and see”. In other words as a lot of us know you have to fail at CPAP for insurance to pay for BiLevel. 

So I guess I’m all buckled in for this ride finally.

Interesting medical approach, this failure principle. I wonder if it also applies to cardiac and cancer issues?
Post Reply Post Reply
Probably not, holden4th. If one fails to treat cardiac or cancer patients in a correct and timely manner, the next step could be the funeral home and not another doctor or treatment type. It seems like apnea patients are treated as though apnea events are not that serious.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To some extent I believe so because I’ve known people who have died of cancer because their insurance refused to pay for a more advanced treatment. My mom saw it first hand. She’s a retired nurse who worked in cancer research. It’s an awful feeling watching someone wither away because their bought and paid for insurance does nothing. I’m 44 now and I’m starting to get a very clear view of just how disgusting this healthcare system is in the states. The bottom line is even with insurance you will not receive the best care unless you have enough cash to fix whatever ails you.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
My departed wife had metastatic breast cancer. I “learned” quite a bit from the insurance companies (my employer changed providers several times):
- Chemo for brain tumors does not need to cross the blood-brain barrier.
- Lungs are not medically necessary.
- Chemo doesn’t cause anemia. It just happens that everyone starting chemo was already iron deficient.

I wish that was tongue-in-cheek hyperbole.

Her doctor was excellent, but to a great extent her healthcare decisions were controlled by some kid with a flow chart in another country. Even when appealing their decision, the final call was made by (at best) a general practitioner instead of an oncologist.

Many of her “cancer buddies” died while still fighting for the treatment they needed to be approved by insurance. Time is critical.

I have since remarried. My wife is a nurse. She convinced me that it was time to start CPAP. In return, I convinced her that it was time to get hers out of the closet. She had been told that it probably wasn’t working for her because she just had UARS. Nope, that is a factor, but she CLEARLY has OSA, and it was still pretty bad even at her prescription setting. I switched her to Resmed, and we’ve been slowly getting her adapted to settings that actually help her.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for your loss. It’s terrible what insurance companies are allowed to do.

I’m glad you got your wife back on hers. I’m trying to get my girl to go for a sleep study because I always see her twitching and choking from flow limitations and I believe hypopneas and obstructives but she’s stubborn. Just this morning she woke up with a choke and a huge inhale. She’ll go eventually I hope.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,032 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,719 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 330 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 788 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.