Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fine-tuning APAP for CSA?
Fine-tuning APAP for CSA?
Would like opinions (please) on whether there are things I could change to reduce/preclude side effects that may occur with long term use. Have requested clinical manual via e-mail so for the time being I'm making minor adjustments then monitoring what effects might result.

Profile specs'll tell you what I'm using (for device) then attached image from OSCAR report'll show where I'm presently setting things. AHI's 0.7 - 4.7 for consecutive nights over two weeks after enabling VPAP Auto per Rx recommendation.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fine-tuning APAP for CSA?
spclark, normally we see central apnea are reduced with lower pressure and less pressure support. It's unusual to see someone that has any significant central sleep apnea do well with a bilevel with pressure support over 4 cm. I suspect your apnea is predominately obstructive, and the centrals are just an artifact of the therapy. You are using Vauto mode with an EPAP min of 9.6 and maximum IPAP of 17.6 with PS 4.6. These are rather bizzare settings, and I'm curious how you got to them. With the full chart, we can see the relationship of events to pressure and give you better advise, but since your efficacy looks pretty good here, I think I will simply suggest going into your settings and set the Trigger Sensitivity on high. We have found this often reduces stray central events. I might drop pressure support to 4.0.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2021, 02:50 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: spclark, normally we see central apnea are reduced with lower pressure and less pressure support. It's unusual to see someone that has any significant central sleep apnea do well with a bilevel with pressure support over 4 cm. I suspect your apnea is predominately obstructive, and the centrals are just an artifact of the therapy. You are using Vauto mode with an EPAP min of 9.6 and maximum IPAP of 17.6 with PS 4.6. These are rather bizzare settings, and I'm curious how you got to them.  With the full chart, we can see the relationship of events to pressure and give you better advise, but since your efficacy looks pretty good here, I think I will simply suggest going into your settings and set the Trigger Sensitivity on high.  We have found this often reduces stray central events.  I might drop pressure support to 4.0.

OK, thanks.

I'll drop PS to 4.0 then. This is a baseline pressure setting on top of which EPAP / IPAP are 'heaped'? Helps knowing what abbreviated labels mean...

Already have TS set to V. High.

Will post updated screen-shot once I've slept with those numbers for a few days this week.
Post Reply Post Reply
PS is added to EPAP, in your case, if you edit it to PS 4.0, it constantly makes IPAP 4.0 cmH2O more than the Auto adjusting EPAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm pretty sure you can slowly titration back the PS setting and arrive at a point where therapy remains comfortable, and relatively free of CA events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK so the settings are additive in nature. That's helpful, why I asked for a clinical menu manual to be sent. Thanks....

I've lowered PS to 3.6.

Leaving Ti Max @ 4.0 seconds, TiMin @ 0.2 sec., see what happens this week.

Before discovering the Clinical Menu I was plagued by I pressures cutting out then back in again when inhaling. Most disruptive to my falling asleep with RAMP set to off, even with Ti Max set to something less than the 4.0 seconds max. allowed.

Glad I stumbled on this forum earlier today. Getting useful info after initial posting, rather than crickets to what I'd posted over on another forum I found a week ago.

You responders able to 'read' graphed data from OSCAR that's hiding things I might benefit from knowing? There's more to what it gets out of raw data brought over off that SD card from my ResMed than I can wrap my head around.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you're yet to post a complete graph, but let's wait for you to try the lower PS, and we can give it a go tomorrow. As far as TiMax time, I don't think you need to go to 4 seconds. Your 95% is at 2.22, so above 3.0 that you're accommodating very little. I use that as well, and it really doesn't make much difference. We use the feature to cause some individuals to cycle to exhale, if they need that time. The default of 2-seconds is short for some, and you (like me) have a high tidal volume, so it all makes some sense. With therapy onset CA events, it's mainly about the increased ventilation from pressure support that drives down CO2. It's called the apneic threshold, and this is a common problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed on Ti Max sounds a bit high.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Received the requested clinical manual late last evening. A little let down over what it tells me that wasn't in the regular manual provided with the device, but I did learn some things about the physiology of breathing I hadn't been aware of.

What I would have liked to know more about would include comprehensive details about what the different clinical menu option abbreviations actually mean and how they affect the performance of the device during use.

It's been 2-1/2 hours since I arose this morning. I'm still waiting for last night's data to register in MyAir. If lowered PS leaves AHI <5 I'll live with it that way for a few nights before posting graph images from OSCAR here.

BTW: are any particular graphs more meaningful than others? I can manage file sizes for screen captures quite easily while not including less relevant portions will do most to reduce file size.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pulled SD card, OSCAR says AHI 2.66 for last night so that's relatively stable after change in PS from 4.4 to 3.6. Will drop TiMAX to 3.0 for tonight then review data again tomorrow morning.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,286 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 182 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 144 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 234 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 952 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 657 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  [Treatment] Need some tuning I think timthebaker 6 304 03-28-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: timthebaker

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.