Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First cold + cpap
First cold + cpap
It is not going well.  First night I took it off for a break and fell asleep.  Woke up and put it back on.  Last night I woke up a LOT.  Also I got rained out because I turned the humidity up.  Finally I gave up.  Took the mask off and went to sleep on the couch sitting up so the congestion could drain.  I've included some screen shots including the night before the cold.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First cold + cpap
I'm going through my first cold too. I have troubles with congestion anyways so have just been doing extra nasal rinses to help get/keep airways clear. If I put on the mask when congested I find it tough to sleep but if I can get airways clear before doing so I have found they stay clear once the mask is on, if I don't put mask on I just get even more congested once laying down though. You could try nasal rinses if you aren't already.

Is there a reason you have pressures set so low? Even before being sick you were hitting max at times and while fighting this cold you have hit max every night. Unless you need it due to centrals or something like that I would increase max to at least 12. You will probably find that increasing minimum to 7 will probably help as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Typically a fallback position with congestion is to use a FFM, since you use one already, that does not seem to be helping enough.

I wear a FFM, but I also wear a cervical collar. I started wearing one because it does tilt me head back slightly and probably helps with keeping my airway open a bit. It is not a replacement for CPAP, but if I’m not feeling great and want to take a nap downstairs and not use my CPAP, I’ll wear my collar.

I recently got an ASV machine that does surge with high pressure at times. With a cold I might go back to my Autoset with a lower pressure range for more comfort.

When not feeling well or with a cold, it is not about the best therapy it is about enough therapy to be able to still use a CPAP.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
How is your cold going? I thought I was getting past the worst of mine but couldn't stop the congestion tonight and kept waking up hence why I am here middle of the night... Had to use a decongestant so I could breath and hoping I can now get some decent sleep...

Who would have known that a simple cold could be such a tough thing to deal with...
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2019, 04:02 PM)Geer1 Wrote: Is there a reason you have pressures set so low? Even before being sick you were hitting max at times and while fighting this cold you have hit max every night. Unless you need it due to centrals or something like that I would increase max to at least 12. You will probably find that increasing minimum to 7 will probably help as well.

(12-30-2019, 05:48 AM)Geer1 Wrote: How is your cold going? I thought I was getting past the worst of mine but couldn't stop the congestion tonight and kept waking up hence why I am here middle of the night... Had to use a decongestant so I could breath and hoping I can now get some decent sleep...

Who would have known that a simple cold could be such a tough thing to deal with...

I'm still in my first 3 months of treatment, and haven't done a follow up yet.  My test gave me an ahi of 8, so I wasn't that high to begin with.
This cold is rough.  At least it's  only a head cold but it's still rough.  I took 4 hot showers in 1 day to get opened up, even with taking medicine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The NeilMed Sinus Rinse kit works wonders when I have a congested nose.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips for continuing PAP through a cold Bostonsnow 4 535 07-28-2023, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Cold-weather camping? tundranapper 4 877 05-26-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  High pressures causing/worsening cold symptoms Chalkie 4 820 11-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Chalkie
  BiPAP advisable with a cold? BobbieM 10 1,238 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Using CPAP while fighting off a cold or flue AlwaysTired2018 5 884 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question When I snooze my alarm, wake up groggy and have high SpO2 100% with hands cold. MyronH 1 949 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.