Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First night beginning treatment with DreamStation
First night beginning treatment with DreamStation
I'm new to this forum and thought I would dive right in and say hello.
I was diagnosed with CFS 15 years back and my sleep has deteriorated over the years. I've recently had an apnea diagnosis and am very keen to find out if alleviating apnea with the CPAP machine will relieve some of the symptoms of fatigue. That would be life changing, so I'm nervous. Lying here with a Wisp mask over my nose, just trying to get used to breathing with the air pressure about 6. 
Not finding it easy to go off to sleep so far, but I'm not in too much discomfort. Just a little too aware of my breathing pattern and a slight awareness of cold air around the nose. 
I think my instinct is to want to open my mouth and breathe that way as it seems to be a bit of effort to constantly breathe through the nose. I really hope that feeling passes and I get used to using the mask.

Any thoughts or tips would be welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night beginning treatment with DreamStation
Welcome to the forum.  I'm sure we can help.

First this is a list for the person starting out.  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...AP_-_BIPAP

What model of machine do you have?  The model number is on the bottom.  It will be something like this.  DSX500x11

Download SleepyHead (free) and post your daily charts.  These will tell you, down to a breath by breath detail if needed, what is happening throughout the night.  We can look at your pressures and get an idea if you need to raise or lower the pressure.  

Read or Watch TV while using your mask, a nice normal activity.  

Is Flex enabled on your machine?, at what level?  Flex is meant to make it easier for you to breath (exhale).
6 is a fairly low level, you MAY need more pressure.   
The charts would help us to see all this

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dream station has become my best friend.  I too started out with a low pressure and felt starved for air.  A forum member recommended increasing my starting pressure and also my nasal pillow size from small to medium and WOW!  Now I sleep so well and never feel air starved.  Post your sleepyhead data and see what the experts have to offer....worked for me!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Falconhoof,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy, here is a link to the data-managment software called:#sleepyhead, and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.  I'm sure we can help.   Thanks

What model of machine do you have?  The model number is on the bottom.       GBX500S15

Download SleepyHead (free) and post your daily charts.  These will tell you, down to a breath by breath detail if needed, what is happening throughout the night.  We can look at your pressures and get an idea if you need to raise or lower the pressure.  

Is Flex enabled on your machine?, at what level?  Flex is meant to make it easier for you to breath (exhale). 

don't know, will endeavor to find out. On the machine menu Flex has a lock icon and a number 3. I guess this means its locked to setting 3 whatever that number means.

6 is a fairly low level, you MAY need more pressure.   
The charts would help us to see all this

Fred
 Thank you Fred. I have downloaded Sleepyhead and captured my 3 nights of data. Just need to read where to upload screen shots to.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, I didn't need to upload the file on my last post. I don't think I can edit to delete it now.
Where is best to post imgur links to my data images ? Is there a dedicated section of the forum ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Posting them to this thread will be fine, just be sure to post them all to the same place so members can better track changes.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I'm getting a message to say new users need 4 posts before posting images. Hopefully this takes me above that threshold.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm, my profile shows 4 posts but i'm still getting the (new users need) 4 posts error.
Maybe it should say 'over' 4 posts ?
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I've figured out that I didn't need to post the file of the image there. I can link to Imgur

[Image: Iu1B5aV.png]

[Image: atOG62E.png]

[Image: GTYj7Fx.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 120 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 106 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 216 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 609 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] TiredFGO - Treatment Thread TiredFGO 1 117 03-30-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 135 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 164 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.