Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First time ~ ever :(
First time ~ ever :(
I have the ResMed AutoSense for Her cpap machine and have used it successfully for 4 years.
I have not had major problems, but this morning I encountered a "first".

Every morning I remove the humidifier to rinse it and refill it for the next evening.  Today it will NOT release and I cannot get it out of the designated space in the machine.  It still has a little water in it so I dare not tip it in any fashion.  I have been using cpap machine since 2009 and never had this issue.  I did not move it during the night and it was in same position this morning as it was last night before bedtime.  Has this happened to anyone and please, please - what did you do to get the humidifier out of the machine???
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First time ~ ever :(
Thumb on top on the plastic tab, 4 fingers under the bottom edge, squeeze and pull. It will release. It is held in place by some compression and by the silicon seals in the back. Unless something has come apart, it won't resist much.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2021, 09:39 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Thumb on top on the plastic tab, 4 fingers under the bottom edge, squeeze and pull.  It will release.  It is held in place by some compression and by the silicon seals in the back. Unless something has come apart, it won't resist much.

Sleeprider ~ Thank You so much for your suggestion.  I have not so much hand strength, and when I tried this suggestion of yours it did not work.  BUT my husband has much better hand strength and he was able to get it to release.  It has never done this before and I always use room temperature distilled water in the humidifier.  Any ideas of what I may have done to cause it to seize up like it did?  I don't want this to become a regular happening every morning.  I am gentle with my machine and do not mistreat it.  I love my machine and what it has done for me since diagnosis.
Post Reply Post Reply
After writing my response I went back and checked my own machine and found there were deposits that needed cleaned inside the humidifier chamber cavity above the heating plate, the back wall and silicone seals. I used a paper towel wetted with hydrogen peroxide to scrub away most of the deposits and dirt, and finished with some Q-tips in the corners, then wiped dry with a hand towel. There was quite an accumulation of "stuff" that I think could add resistance, and it didn't look very hygienic. My wife's was worse. It might be worth a look inside the machine cavity where the chamber fits.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2021, 10:01 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: After writing my response I went back and checked my own machine and found there were deposits that needed cleaned inside the humidifier chamber cavity above the heating plate, the back wall and silicone seals.  I used a paper towel wetted with hydrogen peroxide to scrub away most of the deposits and dirt, and finished with some Q-tips in the corners, then wiped dry with a hand towel.  There was quite an accumulation of "stuff" that I think could add resistance, and it didn't look very hygienic.  My wife's was worse. It might be worth a look inside the machine cavity where the chamber fits.

Excellent analysis and perfectly logical.  I shall try your solution when I return home this morning.  I am ashamed to admit that I had not thought of cleaning the inside of the area where the humidifier fits in the machine.  I wonder if the manufacturer has ever had this happen to them during the mfg process?
Post Reply Post Reply
Every now & then, I'll take a paper towel with some vinegar on it and wipe down the heating plates inside the reservoir cavity. I keep the machine as clean as possible. I wipe it down a couple of times a week, including the area where the reservoir sits. 

Once in a great while, the reservoir in my machine will be somewhat reluctant to come out. Not as bad as yours though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2021, 11:59 AM)Big Guy Wrote: Every now & then, I'll take a paper towel with some vinegar on it and wipe down the heating plates inside the reservoir cavity. I keep the machine as clean as possible. I wipe it down a couple of times a week, including the area where the reservoir sits. 

Once in a great while, the reservoir in my machine will be somewhat reluctant to come out. Not as bad as yours though.

Granted my humidifier problem is not what I call a major problem, but it definitely worried me.  I am relieved to know that you have also had this problem in a lighter manner.  I must increase my cleaning routine to include the inside area by the heating plates and such.  I am guessing the original instructions probably included these suggestions, but in my excitement to have the machine I totally forgot that part of it.

I am grateful for suggestions that help me learn useful things and even suggestions that are just fun stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
First time I've ever heard about cleaning the inside of the humidifier chamber.  Thanks for the good advice.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I typically clean the water reservoir cavity area on and off. I've never really found it be to dirty or dusty. Only once so far, did I actually find a slight build-up of minerals or something posing as mineral build-up. 

Some white vinegar quickly took care of that.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 200 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 608 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 243 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 169 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 801 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,214 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.