Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First week on CPAP
First week on CPAP
Happy with results of my first week using CPAP.  I can understand why the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset seems to be the machine of choice by many.  Am using a Respironics DreamWare pillow mask in a size MW.  My wife isn't complaining of snoring any more, since I'm apparently no longer doing that.  However, she is complaining of noise coming from the machine.  Not completely sure what could be causing this, but have noticed that my mouth will open slightly and at the same time I can hear a noise that goes away when I close mouth.  Does this make sense?  What is the first thing I should try to keep mouth closed?  I am using Oscar--would it be helpful to post the Overview (or other) page?  Thanks--and thanks to all the fantastic folks that make this board possible!  Gerry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First week on CPAP
We far prefer a daily details chart to the Overview chart. Instructions for Organizing your Oscar Chart are in my signature links. You're using nasal pillows, and eventually you will learn to keep your jaw closed, but if it tends to relax, and let air escape, you can use something like the corner or your pillow between the shoulder and jaw, a soft cervical collar or a jaw strap that pulls upward, not back to encourage the jaw to stay closed. You seem to be on the right track. Daily details is a much better graph to post.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife complains of noises I make in the night but she never seems interested in studying the source of a sound at 3am. What is her problem? A problem I have is that my mouth will open and air will rush out and make noise. A chin strap can help with that, but in some cases it does not help. A full face mask can help with mouth noise. Or mouth tape, which is the solution I have found. Noise can come from different sources, so keep working at it and you will find a solution.
Post Reply Post Reply

Many thanks, Sleeprider.  Hope the attached Oscar file provides the needed info!
Post Reply Post Reply
Not much to improve on in the stats except the leak rate. Hypopnoea at .13. Ditto for the RERA flag.

You will want to edit or even nix the Ramp settings. It's on a pressure of 4 at 45 minutes. That's quite a long time on minimal pressure that very likely cannot be near the theraputic pressures of 11/11. You're going to air starve on that.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure is fixed since minimum and maximum is at 11.0, and you have EPR at 2. I might try EPR 3 and drop pressure to 10. If OA does not show up you can reduce to 9.0. It looks like you may tolerate lower pressure and the increased EPR will reduce flow limits and the lower pressure and increased EPR will reduce leaks a bit. To be honest, you rarely have large leaks, but the mouth leaks at a few places will certainly dry out your mouth. In my opinion it's not too bad. A little less pressure and more effort at keeping the jaw closed should work.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that I'm getting close to two months of therapy, I'm wondering if there's a specific number goal (e.g., AHI=0) to work towards?  Also, should I be looking for consistency or just realize that once in a while there will be outliers.  I had an AHI=15 one night 3 or 4 weeks ago, without really understanding why.  Also, I've had two nights with AHI=0 recently.  Your thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
We try not to obsess over the numbers, and look for long-term trends the data can inform us about. At this stage of your therapy, comfort should be the priority, and the data is there to give you an idea of the conditions where you feel best. As you note, there can be quite a bit of variation from night to night, and focusing on the night with 15 AHI probably makes as much sense as focusing on the night with zero. The goal is simply to feel as good as possible. It's very subjective, and results will vary between individuals.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I am coming up on completing one month on the CPAP. AHI fluctuates between 0.7 and 3.04. I am using a full face mask and use Biotene rinse at night so no dry mouth so far. In the last week I have had 5 days with zero leaks so definitely having a good fit with the mask.

Looking at my OSCAR data it is still showing occasional snoring even though my wife is saying that there is no snoring. How is Resmed Airsense capturing the snoring events?

Best Regards,

Kashyap
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 511 Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 205 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 226 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 683 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  My Mother did an In-Lab sleep study last week. Phaleronic 4 503 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First week CPAP. Had such high hopes...advice tuumi2000 2 564 09-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: tuumi2000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.