Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Fisher&Paykel Icon+ Smiley face?
RE: Fisher&Paykel Icon+ Smiley face?
From the F&P Manual:

NOTE: A symbol will appear on the Display Screen when the Sleep Data is within the compliance requirements. Once CMS requirements are met, the data within the CMS sub-menu will freeze.
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually just turned my icon+ back in today and got my s9 autoset back. I found the data provided by the icon inconsistent as well as minimal. For example, my data today should've showed ~8 hours of use, but it showed .04 hours which if I had to report compliance would've screwed me. Also, in sleepyhead no centrals are shown at all and the data is minimal. Be wary if you are considering the machine. It looks great and is nice and small, but when it comes to data collection and accuracy stick with Resmed and PR.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Icon won't show the last nights data until after 12 noon.....that is when it considers the night sleep cycle ends for one day and starts the next sleep cycle day after the internal clock passes noon.

You are correct about somewhat limited data, both ResMed and Resperonics use a detection technique to identify Centrals as opposed to obstructive events, in the case of ResMed their system is called FOT, I don't remember what Resperonics calls theirs, anyway the ResMed sends a series of small pressure pulses to determine if airway is open (central) or if airway is closed ( obstructive) when there is an Apnea. Resperonics does something similar, but the Icon does not have any function like this so it won't differentiate between central or obstructive apnea, it simply classifies both as an Apnea.

So in that respect the Icon is less capable in terms of data reporting, otherwise it's not a bad machine, works well and provides good pap therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 04:46 PM)under pressure Wrote: From the F&P Manual:

NOTE: A symbol will appear on the Display Screen when the Sleep Data is within the compliance requirements. Once CMS requirements are met, the data within the CMS sub-menu will freeze.

This is really good info to know! Thanks for sharing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 08:46 PM)under pressure Wrote: The Icon won't show the last nights data until after 12 noon.....that is when it considers the night sleep cycle ends for one day and starts the next sleep cycle day after the internal clock passes noon.

You are correct about somewhat limited data, both ResMed and Resperonics use a detection technique to identify Centrals as opposed to obstructive events, in the case of ResMed their system is called FOT, I don't remember what Resperonics calls theirs, anyway the ResMed sends a series of small pressure pulses to determine if airway is open (central) or if airway is closed ( obstructive) when there is an Apnea. Resperonics does something similar, but the Icon does not have any function like this so it won't differentiate between central or obstructive apnea, it simply classifies both as an Apnea.

So in that respect the Icon is less capable in terms of data reporting, otherwise it's not a bad machine, works well and provides good pap therapy.

The icon does provide good pap therapy in that it seems to be pressure accurate, but for someone who likes to interpret their own data, and make decisions on pressure adjustments, having data like centrals is huge.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with you. It's a fine machine for people that have vanilla OSA, but for people that are more data centric, or others that are more concerned about Central Apneas it may not be the most appropriate machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2015, 08:28 PM)LuckyDucky9 Wrote: Its the Icon+ auto (Sorry just looked at it)
I have that unit...if I remember right, it has to do with compliance! You are a good CPAPer!

New here...see it has been answered. :-(

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 162 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Fisher and Paykel Solo Columbiabill 30 4,588 04-13-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 137 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 663 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 17,053 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 447 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 512 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.