Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow Limit and EPR?
Flow Limit and EPR?
I decided to change from EPR 3 to EPR 2 to see how that would affect how I felt and maybe CAI vs HI--those two being the primary component of AHI for me.  So far, so good, but it will take more time to see whether the change results in a statistical difference.  I'm also watching for aerophagia.

However, I am noticing that 95% Flow Limit measure has apparently increased, and the flow limit graph appears denser.  Is this to be expected?

I would have thought that reducing EPR, without changing pressure, would increase EPAP and reduce the flow limits rather than increase them.

I'd appreciate education on the expected relationship between EPR and flow limits.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow Limit and EPR?
Consider EPR as the same thing as PS on a BiLevel. For therapy, you always want to think of its effect on EPAP and sometimes we alter pressure to have the effect on EPAP that we want, frequently to keep EPAP the same. PS is what you use to treat Flow Limits. (and RERAs, Hypopneas, UARS. )
So lowering EPR will in general INCREASE the above somewhat, though an increase in EPAP could tend to reduce them. Increasing EPAP is most effective against Obstructive Apnea. Frequently the reason we reduce EPR is just to reduce Central Apnea that is induced by flushing too much CO2 out of the system.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, with my Autoset, if my goal is to reduce CAI without increasing HI, should I try lowering pressure by 1 when I decrease EPR by 1?

Last month, with EPR=3, I changed pressure from 9.8 to 10.2. For the last year, my AHI/OI/HI/CAI numbers averaged 1.63/0.14/0.84/0.63. For last month, with pressure at 10.2, the numbers were 1.66/0.10/0.71/0.83. So increasing the pressure by 0.4, without changing anything else, seems to have decreased HI and increased CAI.

I am trying to fine tune my results and see if any change results in feeling more rested when I wake up. I know my AHI is low enough that it might not be worth bothering about, but wanted to see if changing up the settings might improve feeling tired in the morning.
Useful links

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are correct, Sir! This will maintain the same EPAP pressure while lowering your IPAP. This is another, although slight, difference between using EPR versus a true Bi-level machine. You can only adjust the EPR in 1 cm increments as opposed to .2 cm increments on a Bi-level with PS. Until you mention the .4 cm setting, it never occurred to me of this difference.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did that answer your question Guy?

On a BiLevel you can set EPAP to the machine min (4) add PS (3) and no problem IPAP is 7
On a CPAP you can set Pressure to the machine to the machine Min (4) add EPR (3) and you still have 4 because you cannot go below the machines min.
Thus Min Pressure = 4 (machine min) + EPR (3) = 7, For EPR=2: Min Pressure = 4 (machine min) + EPR (2) = 6 thus getting the fully defined amount of EPR all the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I know about the minimum pressure of 4 and how that might affect actual pressures. My pressure won't be low enough for that to be an issue.

My original study suggested CPAP with a pressure of 13 cmH2O. Since I got an APAP machine instead of CPAP, I've never set the minimum pressure that high, figuring the APAP would drive it up there as needed (and it does, usually two or three times a night, after which it drops back to the set pressure).
Useful links

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 15 725 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 369 11 hours ago
Last Post: earnerd
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 74 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 296 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 268 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 187 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 109 8,762 04-08-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.