Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow Rate Chart Question
Flow Rate Chart Question

I am getting pretty good at identifying what is actually happening relative to the flow rate chart and my sleep activity, but occasionally I am unable to interpret the occurrence. I am interested in possible causes or reasons for my breaths to become so small. This doesn't happen often. Please note 0307 to 0315 and let me know what would cause this.

In reviewing my video of this time period I have moved into a supine position at 0301 and at 0315 my apnea alarm alerts me to this and I move to a prone position.

I'm guessing that my breathing has become very shallow and hypopnea's occur.

Also, is there a wiki of flow rate chart examples showing possible explanations for abnormalities in breathing? I could not find any.

Thanks Sleep-well
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow Rate Chart Question
If you can zoom into a 2-minute segment of that period, I suspect you will find the flattened inspiratory peaks typical of flow limitation. We really can't interpret flow when zoomed out so far the individual respiratory wave is not visible.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for taking the time to make a review.

2min from center of occurrence.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
There are some flow limits in there, but most of this looks like a normal respiratory wave. It may be shallower, but more breaths per minute. Have you thought of looking at the respiratory rate and tidal volume graphs in combination with this? I'm thinking this is your REM.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2019, 09:39 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: There are some flow limits in there, but most of this looks like a normal respiratory wave.  It may be shallower, but more breaths per minute.  Have you thought of looking at the respiratory rate and tidal volume graphs in combination with this?  I'm thinking this is your REM.

Right now about the only part of OSCAR that I am confident is working 100% with my machine is the Flow Rate Chart. I also believe that the INSP and EXT Charts appear to be on target. I use them sometimes in place of tidal volume. Sometimes the Tidal Vol works great and more often not. 

Great stab at it as I was thinking deep or rem myself. Hoping anyway.

Real glad it looks normal. 

CPAP is a lifesaver, but obtaining a good nights sleep is also very important. That being said, I'd like to be able to better read the chart for light, deep and rem sleep and try to improve my rem and deep sleep. 

Physically, I can tell if I am getting rem and deep throughout my waking day. I'm using a camera to record my sleep and improve my sleep.

Thanks Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 235 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 295 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 108 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 851 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,603 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.