Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow limitation spike right after falling asleep
Flow limitation spike right after falling asleep
Hey Everyone,

I'm wondering if others see a similar pattern to me where I sometimes have a big spike in flow limitations right as I fall asleep?  This spike causes my pressure to go up quite a bit for around 10 minutes.  After those ~10 minutes the flow limitation goes away and my pressure begins to drop and stays lower for the rest of the night.  The remainder of the night I see some pockets of flow limitation, like during REM, but it's never as bad as when I first am falling asleep.

I've checked cameras and it doesn't seem to be positional.  Maybe it's just congestion that clears up after a few minutes of me sleeping?  Not sure why it only happens once I fall asleep and only at the beginning of the night on some nights.

It doesn't seem to be a huge issue but I wanted to better understand what's going on with my body as I drift to sleep and see if this is a common thing for other people?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow limitation spike right after falling asleep
You're not alone, the same thing happens to me. Sometimes the sudden flow limitation is bad enough that I wake up resulting in a chain of 15-30 minute naps.
Unfortunately, I don't have any further insight other than to confirm that it doesn't seem to be positional in nature. Hopefully someone else has more insight.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first guess is you are laying on your back as you enter sleep, thus as you relax, your airway is becoming obstructed.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I experience flow limits early on night shortly after going to sleep .  Before bed and am I do a sinus routine now , ive slowly raised min pressures and experimented with epr and have been doing alot better without the spikes . Unsure if that will work for you but what ive ran into and I am side sleeper
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 17 759 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 9 102 5 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 45 8 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 394 Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Last Post: earnerd
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 76 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 301 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 275 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.