Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Forced to rent a machine by DME, what can i do
Forced to rent a machine by DME, what can i do
Been using CPAP for 5-7 years. Previous machine was crapping out, so got new prescription and a resmed a10. Now, I look at the bills and they are charging me 140'ish dollars every month for "rent to own". And will continue for 10 or 12 months.

So I am paying way more than a new machine would cost me :Sad

What options do I have. I call insurance, they said some sort of agreement with DME, blah blah. Can I ask DME to submit one bill?

Do all insurances work that way?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Forced to rent a machine by DME, what can i do
Yeah, that's the way mine worked too. I'm on a high deductible plan, so even with the alleged "discount" per the agreement with the insurance company, my out-of-pocket cost was going to be double the market price for a machine I didn't want, with zero resale value. There was also no option to purchase outright and get it into a single year's deductible, and the "discounted" supplies were also double to triple market cost.

I cooperated for one month until just before my first followup with the doc (new to CPAP and realize I don't know everything). Then I bought a machine to try for a few days (already met compliance standards for the month), and told the doc I was doing even better with the machine I bought. He said keep doing what you are doing, come back in a year, and I returned the DME machine.

For me, insurance "coverage" just meant extra oversight to prove I was worthy of being allowed to pay double price out of pocket for the wrong machine. No thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2019, 12:15 PM)cheekoo Wrote: Been using CPAP for 5-7 years. Previous machine was crapping out, so got new prescription and a resmed a10. Now, I look at the bills and they are charging me 140'ish dollars every month for "rent to own". And will continue for 10 or 12 months.

So I am paying way more than a new machine would cost me :Sad

What options do I have. I call insurance, they said some sort of agreement with DME, blah blah. Can I ask DME to submit one bill?

Do all insurances work that way?

Make sure you have a hard copy (and/or a .pdf copy) of your new prescription.  This will be required to get your own machine from any source of your choice.  Then tell this greedy DME to shove off.  I don't believe they can force you to help fund their retirement this way.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
So, since you probably already signed a contract with your DME for the new machine your most likely out of luck. Your Medicare number is in there computer billing system and it’s on auto pilot. Check the hours on your machine. Did you get a new or used unit ? I did the same thing you did. See my post a few below yours.
Post Reply Post Reply
The rental agreement almost certainly stipulates that coverage requires monitored compliance. If you aren’t using the machine, the insurance company will insist on its return.
Post Reply Post Reply
Assuming you've got the money, pack up the DME machine and take it back. My understanding is that it's a rental contract as long as you possess the machine. Upon return, make the DME sign a return receipt.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds good, thanks for the answers!

I think I will just return this, and buy online. Will search here and on Google for the right place.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to Supplier #33, problem solved.  Buy on Craigslist or Offer-up problem solved. Find out what suppliers are in-network for your insurance and find one that will charge a fair sale price. When you call your insurance company, just explain the situation, because there is no way your co-pay should exceed the cost of cash purchase.  Complain!

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,165 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Sites to rent machine for a month Kmzizzle 3 539 09-25-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  FOT (Forced Oscillation Technique) waking me up repeatedly isuckatsleeping 41 7,648 06-23-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
Question Air Being Forced Out of Mouth eshavens 4 778 06-19-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: eshavens
  Is it ok to buy Refurbished CPAP machine? Rent ketanerp 1 745 09-20-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,792 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.